Science Olympiad prepares for regionals

Science Olympiad prepares for regionals

RBHS has a history of excelling at the annual Science Olympiad regionals competition at the Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla, Mo. One caveat to this year, however, is the maternity leave of coach and chemistry teacher Stephanie Harman, who had a baby in December. In her place is chemistry teacher Barry Still, who looks forward to the competition on Feb. 17 and is concentrating on preparing the Science Olympiad team.

“[I’m asking kids] ‘Where are you at?’, ‘What are you doing?’, ‘Are you ready?’ — ‘Have you talked to your partner?’, ‘Do you have a plan?’” Still said. “For me at this point, it’s just a lot of touching base with people and making sure they are on track to do well. At this point, it’s just checking in.”

Student leader and junior Laura Scoville says the same, pointing out that Science Olympiad decides team points based on individual event results, which makes it difficult to see if people are ready. Nevertheless, she says she is excited to see how RBHS will do after months of preparation.

“I hope RBHS will do well. We have been preparing since October,” Scoville said. “I think we have a good team this year, so I’m really excited for regionals.”