Grace Tries: I try journaling for a week

Photo by Maya Bell
Photo by Maya Bell

For seven days I kept a diary 

Hello, my name is Grace Dorsey, and for the next few months I want to try as many new things as possible. At the end of each experiment, I’ll document my experiences and publish them on Bearing News.
For the past week, I’ve written down my thoughts and reflected on what happened each day. I wanted to try journaling my thoughts for the following reasons:

1. When I try to fall asleep, I continue to analyze the events of the day. I would prefer to fall asleep quicker and have that process be more peaceful.
  2. I really love the idea of looking back at what one was thinking and feeling at a specific time. I want to be able to look back at my 16-year-old self when I’m 30 and remember what that was like with some degree of accuracy.
  3. Writing is a valuable skill, and the more one writes, the easier it gets.
  4. My attempts at journaling in the past have been pretty unsuccessful, so I want to prove to myself that I can do it.

So, how did it go?

First things first, I had to get the perfect medium to write down my most precious thoughts. Naturally, I found what I needed at Gerbes: an 89 cent standard subject notebook. After that, I was ready to rumble.
The first day when I started writing, I was surprised at how easy it was. I simply let all my thoughts spill out onto the page. There are different methods of journaling, like answering a question stem, for example “Did you go anywhere”, or bulleting out ideas, but I was most comfortable with freely writing. Thus, my journal turned out like a mix between a to-do list and a jumble of my current opinions on aspects of my life. Reading back through entries, there are definitely some trends in terms of stuff that bothers me enough to go on about it in my notebook, so that’s kind of interesting to see.
Another thing that made me happy was how it did seem to calm me down before I turned the lights off. Every other time I write, usually for school, it’s all about the assignment, what the teacher expects and what grade I want, but journaling is different. I can relax and use the words I want without worrying so much about syntax and diction. Plus, I used a pen, so there was no revision; I had to go with the flow.
Overall I really enjoyed this experiment, and I hope to continue journaling as much as I can.  
Score: 10/10, would recommend to a friend