Culinary Arts hosts Thanksgiving lunch

The set-up for tomorrow’s luncheon is already in order in the hallway by the planetarium. Photo by Daphne Yu
Students from the Culinary Arts program in the Columbia Area Career Center will be serving their annual Thanksgiving lunch tomorrow from 10:50 – 1 p.m. by the planetarium near the main commons. The feast will feature the traditional Thanksgiving items with a not so traditional twist.  The menu includes  a la carte items such as apple-brined roasted turkey served with a homemade roll and turkey gravy, roasted acorn squash stuffed with a mixed rice, rustic roasted garlic mashed potatoes, green bean casserole as well as pumpkin pie.
“We usually plan to prepare for 380 to max about 400 people,” Chef Brook Harlan said. The holiday lunch “sort of took off once we built the new kitchen, and in 2003, we started doing these lunches here.”
For almost ten years, culinary students are taught to cook not only for individual dishes but menus for groups such as their peers. After months of training in the kitchens, they will now have the chance to showcase their skills.
“In culinary class we don’t do much large-scale things, it’s more you make for one or two people in the class,” senior Mallory Barnes said. “So the lunch helps you prepare if you were going into catering or something like that.”
The Sampler Meal Deal includes turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie which will cost five dollars. They also have a vegetarian option that includes acorn squash in place of turkey. Extra seating will be available in Room 101 in the basement for visitors.
By Carleigh Thrower

Sampler Meal Deal – $5.00

***Turkey with roll and gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole and Pie***

Vegetarian Sampler Meal Deal – $5.00

*** Roasted Acorn Squash with roll and gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole and Pie ***

A la carté items:

• Apple-brined roasted turkey served with a homemade roll and gravy – $3.50
  •  Roasted acorn squash stuffed with a mixed rice and vegetable pecan medley served with a homemade roll – $3.50
  •  Rustic roasted garlic mashed potatoes -$1.50
  •  Green bean casserole – $1.50
  •  Extra roll -$.50
  •  Pumpkin pie with whipped cream – $1.00
  • Full meat meal deal with acorn squash – $7.00