New experiences could revolutionize your life

The photo was taken at the University of Missouri Mini Medical School; the author is on the right. photo by Wendy Zhang
[soundcloud id=”https://soundcloud.com/rbhsbearingnews/new-experiences-could-revolutionize-your-life” width=”725″ height=”148″] [spacer] By the time I was in fourth grade, I had decided that I would become a stage actress. Something was exhilarating about being on stage and hearing the audience react.
I took classes at a local youth theatre company and acted in many of their productions. When it came time for me to pick classes in middle school and high school, Performing Arts and Musical Productions topped my course request lists.
My sophomore year I was in biology, the required science class that year. My teacher, Mrs. Graham, conferenced with me asking what science class I was going to take the next year. I replied that I was going to take chemistry and be done. She gave me the stink eye.
She strongly suggested that I take AP Biology to get it out of the way, as many colleges require it at some point. Her advice, bordering on praise as she said I was excelling in Honors Biology and that I could do the same in AP Biology, put me on the edge. Should I take it? At the last second as I was filling out my sheet, I jotted down AP Bio in the small box.
Throughout the next year, my life truly changed. I stopped doing shows all year long and dedicated time to USA Biology Olympiad, studying for AP Biology exams and eventually applying for the University of Missouri Mini Medical School. With a letter of recommendation from Graham, I was accepted to the camp.
At the camp I was immersed in the world of medicine, and I fell completely in love.
From suturing a pig’s foot to giving a pregnant woman an ultrasound,  I was fascinated. I emerged from the camp with a sense of self and of my future; I left determined to become a surgeon after I completed a microsurgery test designed for fourth-year surgical residents at the University of Missouri Hospital on my first try. I felt I had a real talent for something meaningful for the first time.
Later that summer I had a very different medical experience; this time I was the one in the patient bed. Because I had severe scoliosis, I needed a spinal fusion surgery. I met Dr. Hoernschemeyer, the orthopedic surgeon who would perform the surgery.
At first I hated him, as he was a symbol of the unhappiness being inflicted upon me. When it was time for the surgery, I felt my anger melt to panic, though. There were major risks: such as paralysis and even death. I was trusting so much to a despised stranger.
However, waking up several hours later that day, even though I was overcome with pain and could barely wiggle my toes, I felt relief. When Dr. Hoernschemeyer told me to squeeze his hands, a weak smile crept on my face.
I learned the importance of patient care and discovered surgeons don’t always work on sedated patients. They have to break hard news. They have to deal with an array of emotions, even unreasonable ones. Surgeons have to calm people and convince them that despite the risks, they can help people live better lives.
By opening myself up and agreeing to do something different than what I had originally planned, I was able to tap into a part of myself that I may have never realized otherwise. Now, I am set to double major in biology and neuroscience while following the pre-medical coursework and requirements, a plan that I would never have pursued had I not agreed to try out AP Biology.
When I had to have surgery, I allowed myself to put my anger aside and notice all the lessons that this world-class surgeon in front of me had to offer and what insights I could get into my intended career.
As a high schooler, it is impossible to know what you are going to be doing or where you are going to be in ten years (so parents, family and friends, please stop asking) and that is OK. Embrace obstacles because while you are on a detour around them you might find an even better path.
How have your obstacles helped you grow? Leave your comments below.