Jewish Student Union brings Hanukkah to all students

Nathan Kempf, Thomas White and Ben Rowder are all celebrating Hanukkah at JSU.

Juniors Nathan Kempf and Thomas White fill their cups at the Jewish Student Union’s first ever Hanukkah party. All students were invited to attend the event, which featured an array of traditional foods eaten during the Jewish holiday. 
Jewish Student Union (JSU), a new club at RBHS, is kicking off December with a Hanukkah party Dec. 14th in the cafeteria to celebrate the Jewish holiday and to encourage non Jewish students to learn about Judaism.
“It’s important so that the Jewish population at RBHS, however small, feels they have a place to hang out and meet other Jewish people,” JSU vice president and RBHS junior Zane Durante. “Also JSU can be a place for people that want to learn about Judaism.”
[quote cite=”JSU president junior Megan Polniak “]I do think it is important to start this club because there are several stereotypes surrounding Jewish people and people don’t understand the harmful microaggressions they sometimes say.[/quote] While RBHS is a host of several other religious clubs like Muslim student Union, and the light bible reading club, there are no clubs with a Jewish affiliation.
“I noticed how there is YoungLife and the Light Bible club for those practicing Christianity and Muslim Student Union for those practicing Islam, so I thought it would be nice to provide a club that did the same for Jewish students and for those interested in Jewish culture and faith,” Founder and president junior Megan Polniak said. “I do think it is important to start this club because there are several stereotypes surrounding Jewish people and people don’t understand the harmful microaggressions they sometimes say.”
Math teacher and club sponsor Vera Reichlin, also noticed the lack of Jewish representation among RBHS clubs.
“I was involved in a Jewish youth group when I was in high school and I really liked it.  A JSU will provide a similar opportunity for RBHS students,” Reichlin said. “There probably hasn’t been a JSU because there wasn’t enough student interest in the past.”
Polinak said finding Jewish students was a difficult feat as well. The Jewish population at RBHS is smaller than both the Christian and Muslim population.
“The most difficult part of starting the club was the organization because I, personally, don’t share classes or get a chance to talk to many of the few Jewish students here at Rock Bridge,” Polinak said. “I expect more students to join once the Hanukkah party happens and word of the club gets around.”
[box title=”Five myths about Hanukkah ” box_color=”#2bb673″ title_color=”#000000″ radius=”0″]1. Hanukkah is an important Jewish holiday.
2. Hanukkah celebrates a fight for religious freedom.
3. The Jews’ victory in the Hanukkah story halted assimilation.
4. The oil burned for eight days and eight nights.
5. Latkes are the traditional Hanukkah food. [/box][button url=”https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-hanukkah/2015/12/02/2ea6fc3c-93ae-11e5-8aa0-5d0946560a97_story.html” target=”blank” style=”glass” background=”#2bb673″ color=”#ffffff” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: globe” icon_color=”#3b3838″ text_shadow=”2px 2px 4px #000000″ desc=”Read more about the five myths “]Washington Post writer Jennifer Bleyer has the full story here. [/button]