Tyler, Bruins exact revenge in district final

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]he RBHS boys soccer team managed a 2-0 upset with high tensions against in tonight’s Class 4 district 11 final against cross-town rival, Hickman.
Head Coach Scott Wittenborn expressed his respect and pride for both teams playing today.
“The guys worked their tails off, they definitely deserve [the win],” Wittenborn said  “One of my first thoughts, as a coach, was hats off to Hickman because they’re really a fantastic soccer team. They played their hearts out, they played a great game but our guys really dug deep, and I’m so proud of them. They found a way, which really has been our mantra all season; find a way to win.”
From kickoff, the two teams struggled for possession, with the game full of back and forth of passes. Even with a few near misses, the first 30 minutes drew an even scoreboard with the addition of a yellow card in the 31st minute against junior Moiz Muhammad.
In the last waning moments of the first half, a series of headers and quick passes set midfielder Tarnue Tyler behind the Kewpie defense, one-on-one with Hickman keeper, Jacob Gunn. With no surprise, Tyler’s strike would result in  a 1-0 advantage for RB heading into the second half.
“I was a little nervous starting this game out,” Tyler said. “Obviously we’ve lost to them in the past but I felt a little different this time around. I felt a little more confident and ready, I mean, it’s what we’ve been working at all season.”
With a new found tenacity, RBHS was  hungry for another chance to score again coming into the second half. Once again the ball ended up in the back of the net when midfielder Parker Fancher scored in the 65th minute. This additional goal secured the game, boosting RB’s confidence yet again.
Throughout the entire course of this game, tensions were high with the possibility of defeat closing in for HHS.After the Bruins scored for the second time, this overflow of emotion erupted when Muhammad got physical with Hickman senior, Matias Aura, after the two got tangled up.
“Both teams were really intense.” Muhammad said “We both value soccer a lot, and we all have great respect for Hickman, they’re a really great team. Sometimes in high stakes games like these, tempers flare in the heat of the moment.”
This victory secured the Bruins’ spot in the Class 4 sectionals. Coach Wittenborn was pleased, yet eager to leave the teams mark as the postseason draws on.
“It’s really easy to be satisfied with a victory,” Wittenborn said “We knew going into this game [winning districts] was not our goal. Our goal is to do something great, something this school the schools never had done in its soccer program. We’re going to come focused to every practice, every game from here on out and just work our butts off. It’s all we can do.”
Were you at the game? What did you think of the Bruins district title? Let us know with you comment below.