Bruin Cup registration opens

The+Bruin+Cup+logo.+Photo+courtesy+of+Bailey+Lawson.+
The Bruin Cup logo. Photo courtesy of Bailey Lawson.

21 teams, one school, all champions is the motto for the annual Bruin Cup.
Bruin Cup was created in 2011 to replace the fall, winter and spring athletic banquets and now Bruin Cup serves as an all school athletic awards banquet.
This years Bruin Cup is May 17 at 6:00 p.m. in the Southwell Gymnasium at Columbia College.
“Bruin Cup is a banquet celebrating every athlete and team at Rock Bridge,” senior volleyball player and Bruin Cup Student Board President Bailey Lawson said. “It acknowledges team accomplishments, team volunteer work, seniors as a whole and generally how great Rock Bridge athletics are.”
Bruin Cup isn’t the average banquet as the event focuses on being student led and video driven.
“It starts out with some great food and then it gets and then it gets started,” Lawson said. “Unlike other banquets its is almost completely student lead, other than Mr. Egan. The student athlete board speaks and presents awards, there are constant funny videos, and Twitter awards.”
New this year for Bruin Cup is the introduction of a new award that will be presented along with the traditional Bruin Cup awards such as Most Valuable Player, Most Inspirational and Rookie of the Year.
“The award committee is adding a new award called first team all-Rock Bridge,” senior golfer and awards committee chairperson Madison McDonnell said. “That is team voted on where the athletes in a certain sport will vote for two team members who they think have gone above and beyond to show leadership or have influenced their lives.”
Senior cheerleader Lauren Forrest who attended Bruin Cup last year plans to attend this year as well.
“I really enjoyed it [last year] because it is the only time all athletes can get together and celebrate the amazing things that happened this year,” Forrest said. “[I also like] seeing all the people that normally wear gym shorts all dressed up.”
Bruin Cup registration is now open online or will be available during lunch on May 5 and 6. Tickets are $10 per person.
“People should come to Bruin Cup because as an athlete you work and train so hard,” Lawson said. ”And this is a night to celebrate everything that every team has accomplished.”