‘Orchids’ blossoms into a self-reflective, relatable story

Image used under fair use doctrine
Image used under fair use doctrine
Image used under fair use doctrine
Usually, I can categorize films in two ways: the fun loving movies that entertain you for a good 90 minutes, and end with no impact and the movies which leave you pondering the morals and the meaning of life for days. Upon watching “Orchids: My Intersex Adventure”, however, my categories had to morph into one. This good-humored yet emotionally-raw documentary follows the story of the Australian Phoebe Hart, who struggled finding herself as an intersex person in a world where acceptance and tolerance are unfortunately limited.
In my opinion, films are always at their best when they are relatable, and I had definitely not expected to relate to this one in particular. As Hart tells her story, however, and talks about her struggles with her friends, her family and herself, I could find myself relating to this unique situation. Although the plot is solely centered on individuals, particularly Hart and her eclectic sister Bonnie, a hermaphrodite, the childhood struggle and self-doubt that Hart portrays in this film using picture flashbacks and emotional recall is genuine, capturing and relatable to anyone who has faced obstacles throughout their lives.
Hart’s intense thirst for change, evident not only in the film itself but in her leap to create the taboo film to begin with, made me not only impressed, but hopeful. As she reflected on herself and her place in the world, the audience was forced to reflect on the society we have created and the standards which we place on any individual who dares to be different.
The self-reflection and honest emotion shown throughout the film cast Hart’s voice in the film as almost confessional, as if she was telling the audience a grave secret – and at times in her life she may have even considered her condition as such. The shame and confusion which the documentary starts off with blossoms into something beautiful and optimistic, and the conclusion of the film may be interpreted into any situation not necessarily pertaining to an “intersex adventure”.
The specificity of the film may have been lacking, but the perseverance and self-discovery seen in this film is impressive and endearing. The story is model of a hope for oneself and a hope for a better future for those who stray from societal norm. This very personal story turned into a call for action, from the medical profession, from parents and from any individual who finds that they are losing themselves. Speaking out about taboo to raise awareness gives you a voice, a voice to decrease a sense of discrimination for yourself and for others and a sense of understanding for those who are too fearful to speak out.
As the film came to a close and I was beginning to truly wrap my mind around the moral of the story, Phoebe Hart herself stepped out of the darkness amidst the clapping and standing ovation of the captured audience, which was a true close to such a prominent film. As she explained in depth the process of making a documentary, a fan from the audience stood from the crowd and simply said, “Thank you for being brave enough to share your story.” And these were my thoughts exactly. Though “Orchids” wasn’t very professional or crystal clear at times, the story itself was so powerful that any movie-goer would appreciate the raw courage it took for Hart to speak out and make herself heard.
By Hagar Gov-Ari