Annual Chicken BBQ continues to please community

Volunteers at  RB elementary tediously prepare for the chicken barbeque held Saturday evening.
Volunteers at RB elementary tediously prepare for the chicken barbeque held Saturday evening.
Volunteers at RB elementary tediously prepare for the chicken barbeque held Saturday evening. Photo by Anna Wright.
On Saturday evening, the usually crisp and musky autumn air met with the smoky aroma of the Rock Bridge Elementary Chicken Barbeque. This 55th annual event was held Oct. 20, from 4 to 8 p.m. in the RB elementary parking lot, where individuals of all ages gathered for this festive and social get-together.
“The kids have a blast,” parent volunteer Kris Cortez said. “It`s been 55 years that they’ve been doing this, and people who used to come a long time ago still come back today.”
Bonding over grilled chicken drumsticks, families and friends had the opportunity to reminisce memories they made at RB elementary as children or parents. Not only did the event cater to RB students and alumni, but the BBQ was intended to appeal to all Columbia residents.

“It’s a wonderful idea for the community”
– Debbie Mattson

“It’s a wonderful idea for the community,” parent visitor Debbie Mattson said. “[High school students] grew up with this kind of thing too so it’s fun for everybody.”
Time passed, and 8:00 arrived much quicker than expected, as the sun started to set and the barbeque flames slowly died out. Like many other individuals at the festival, the events that took place that evening positively impacted the way RB elementary kindergartner, David Jenkins, views his new school.
“It’s so much fun,” Jenkins said. “Like 30 times fun.”
By Anna Wright and Manal Salim