Cultural representation comes in all forms

Stereotypes in Social Media
Looking through the hallways of RBHS, it seems as if students’ thumbs are glued to screens, fixated on social media. Nearly everyone has some sort of social media account, and for many, it is a source of social interaction that cannot be replaced.
As useful an engine as social media is – transporting ideas, news and rumors from person to person instantaneously – it can also be an extremely destructive engine, recklessly bouncing offensive slurs from phone to phone, and person to person.
Unfortunately many of these slurs and phrases are racist in nature. They portray stereotypes that attack the ethnicity, race and culture of others. Stereotypes exist everywhere, are spoken every day and are glanced over every second behind screens and monitors. It has become a ritual to say derogatory phrases, and even more acceptable to post them.
All different races are affected by stereotypes for different reasons. Recently, there has been a growing acceptance of racist comments against Muslims, particularly from the Middle East. Social media has spread the idea that terrorism is linked to the Muslim culture; and the stereotype that offensively characterizes Muslims as “bad people” has also been sparked.

Final Infographic 1

Infographic by Joy Park

Because of this generalization, supporters of the Islamic race are taking a stand against the stereotypes on Twitter.
One of the primary movements is the hashtag #MuslimApologies. This hashtag describes the beneficial things that Muslims have invented or done, and sarcastically apologizing for their benefit to society.
For example, sorry that it was a Muslim woman who established the world’s first university. #MuslimApologies. The hashtag has spread all throughout twitter and has grown tremendously.
“Yes, this Muslim stereotype is very wrong because not all Muslims are terrorists. You cannot generalize them based on what a few others have done.” said Bruce Barthalow
Even with movements on social media like #MuslimApologies, racism is still an issue. For every beneficial movement or hashtag, there are more tweets and posts that aggressively stereotype minority races. As a result, racism continues to evolve and expand across social media. Nearly everyone understands that racism is bad and stereotypes should be avoided. Despite this, offensive tweets and posts emerge around social media every day.
“I think stereotypes are used because it’s something we’re taught to joke around with and to not think of as a big deal,” freshman Carmen Ramirez said, “and it’s also something we’re constantly around so we’re kind of desensitized.”
Many students understand the negative aspects of racism and stereotypes but choose not to confront it. They recognize the harmful nature of offensive comments, but have accepted it as a piece of social culture that is too deeply ingrained to change.
“Stereotypes are a form of bullying. People say them to people just to be funny, even though they know it is hurtful,” RBHS student Lydia Broadus said. “Stereotypes make others feel bad for who they are,”
One of the first things people think of when they hear the word: social media is the term Cyber bullying. Cyber bullying has been a constantly growing occurrence today on social media apps. It is a way to hurt someone’s feeling over the internet.
But isn’t that what stereotypes do? They bully people for the way they are. They intend to make fun of someone for their skin color, gender and more. Cyber bullying is recognized greatly by many, but why don’t stereotypes fit in with it, and why are they over looked?
“The media have always played a role in perpetuating stereotypes, and to some extent that situation has improved in the mainstream media (e.g., there are many more TV shows featuring openly gay characters and members of other minority groups than there ever have been before). But I’m less familiar with current trends in social media. Sometimes people end up behaving in ways that reinforce stereotypes about their own group, and if that gets into social media it will have the effect of making the stereotypes worse simply by creating (or seeming to create) more evidence that the stereotype is accurate. For example, a common stereotype of young Black men is that they’re violent or dangerous, so if a young Black man is caught on video doing something violent and that video “goes viral” on social media, it simply reinforces the content of that stereotype, thereby making it worse. One very recent example of a young White guy reinforcing stereotypes about young White guys—that they’re racist—recently went viral on social media, which resulted in the guy in question being expelled from his university. His behavior probably makes the problem worse, because he was acting like a privileged, racist jerk. That doesn’t mean all young white fraternity brothers are privileged, racist jerks, but it probably makes the stereotype stronger. Unfortunately the reverse is not often true—if a young Black man is caught on video doing something kind and considerate, that information won’t eliminate the stereotype but rather (most likely) will lead to people thinking, “Hey, that’s a very nice and considerate Black guy, not like most Black guys.” This is called sub-typing and is one reason why stereotypes are so hard to change—individual examples of behavior that goes against a stereotype is seen as atypical, and therefore doesn’t lead to changes in the core stereotype,” says Bruce Barthalow.
Pages are put up every day to help spread awareness of the cyber bullying that goes on right in front of us. There is a page that shows the constant tweets with the words and terms like “so gay” and worse. It shows the number of tweets that use these hurtful terms every second of every day. For example more than 19,608 tweets using only four certain hurtful terms that were used in one day.
But if only four terms had that many tweets, imagine how many are posted a day saying hurtful things like stereotypes.
At Bearing News surveyed student’s opinions of the stereotypes that go around; 86 percent of students said stereotypes are bullying and a whopping 93 percent agreed that African American were the most targeted.
One common stereotype is that all African Americans are poor, but that is not a true. There is only a one percent difference between the number of Caucasian Americans and African Americans receiving welfare. This is not the only stereotype; there are millions more like it.
Although stereotypes are hurtful, they can do much more than just hurt someone’s feelings. In the past, common stereotypes like, “Women should stay at home and watch the kids” and “Men are better leaders,” became a way of life.
An example of how stereotypes affected lives is in the 1900s is only 20.5% of women worked, and only 5.6% of that 20.5%, were married. Over the years that percentage increased up to 59.9% of women working in the year 2000 61.1 percent of them were married.
Over time stereotypes like these change, and fade away, but will they ever stop is the real question?
Professor of psychological sciences, Bruce Bartholow doesn’t seem to thinks so. After asking him if he ever thought it would be possible to end stereotypes, he says, “No, and it’s not a good idea to try, because you would be fighting a losing battle against the way thousands of years of human evolution have programmed our brains to operate. Rather, what people can do is to recognize that they have stereotypes, that they are used by EVERYONE (not just people who are “racist” or “prejudiced”) and realize that their initial reactions to people might be inaccurate because of their stereotypes. The main difference between people who are racist/prejudiced and people who are not comes down to whether or not a person believes the accuracy of the negative stereotypes they hold about other groups, as well as their motivation to try to control their prejudiced responses. In other words, a non-prejudiced person is someone who has stereotypes and yet tries to treat others fairly without simply allowing their stereotypes to determine how they interact.”
By Rebecca Gray

Stereotypes in the Entertainment Realm
Through media engines, such as music, television and movies, racism is a train of ideas that transports itself around the world.  Some feel that it is a global issue, detrimental to every society.  Despite this, why and how does it exist?
Howard Winant, Professor of Sociology at the University of California, Santa Barbara and the director of University of California Center for New Racial Studies, describes racism as an idea that exists unconsciously. They are ideas that are realized, yet not addressed.
“Many people of all racial identities believe in true racial equality,” Winant said in an email interview.  “But, for many other people, there is a great deal of fear about race and unwillingness to recognize what an immense problem it has always been in the U.S.”
Winant says the fear sprouts from a shame of the violence and cruelty against minorities that has existed in the United States from its beginning.  This fear and shame, which expands to the massive concept of racism, commonly uses a three-headed monster to spread its malefic munition.  Buried underneath the mirage of entertainment media, racism infiltrates our lives through music, movies and television.
Many songs that seem harmless contain derogatory slurs and stereotypes.  Popular childhood tunes like the “Ice Cream Truck Song” and “Eenie Meenie Miney Moe” (in which the word “tiger” has been substituted in place of the “n-word”) have racist roots.  Aggressive stereotypes and offensive slurs are used to categorize minorities.  These songs, however, have not been extinguished from culture, instead they remain staples in childhood play.
“It is a little bit disturbing to learn about the racial origins of the songs,” junior Molly Klein said.  “But it’s such a big part of society, especially childhood; and not a lot of people know about [the racist origins] so if it doesn’t disturb them, the songs shouldn’t be changed or removed from society.”
Music, however, is not the only form of media that contains stereotypes and racism.  Movies are another prong of the trident of racist entertainment media.
Several publicly applauded movies often also have racially insensitive meanings hidden beneath the surface of an entertainment masterpiece.  Pocahontas, the Disney movie released in 1995, incorrectly depicts Native Americans and their lifestyle.  In the song “Savages,” extremely racist slurs and stereotypes describe Native Americans.
Disney’s 1941 film Dumbo, a timeless, childhood favorite, also contains certain offensive moments.  An example in the movie are the crows, all of which are black.  They wear patched clothing and are represented generally as intellectually inferior. They also use slang words and speak in southern accents with mutilated grammar.
Another movie that unfairly and offensively depicts minorities is The Birth of a Nation, produced in 1915.  The favorite film of President Woodrow Wilson, the movie provides a glorification of the Klu Klux Klan, while portraying the southern United States as an African-American controlled anarchy.
When these films were created in the first half of the 1900s, the United States was still submerged in segregation and equality had not yet been achieved. At that time, these movies, and the scenes featured in the films may have been acceptable.
Furthermore, contemporary songs and movies produced today are rarely racially based.  Still, the aged songs and movies are still played, accepted and praised in society.  One may wonder, as the United States improves itself, should these scenes in media be restricted.
“The only improvement in our country is the understanding that you can’t mass produce [material] with that much racism; the racism itself isn’t better,” World History teacher Ben Schirmer said.  “But, you don’t want to get rid of [the movies] because it’s history. And historically, you never want to throw out things made in the past because it shows where you’ve been before and how far you’ve come [as a country.]”
Many of the stereotypes displayed in the movies infer that minorities are uneducated or unworthy.  The crows in Dumbo and the African-American South Carolina politicians in The Birth of a Nation are both examples. However, these inferences are unfair because of the historical role of minorities in United States’ history.
“This country was built in large measure on the wealth created by slaves that were never compensated … and by immigrants of color who were deeply exploited,” Winant said.
Few people understand the culture and history of minority groups who are racially insulted, particularly their historical connection to the United States. In RBHS, 60 percent of students said they did not think of the heritage, culture and traditions when seeing someone of a different race.
Movies, however, are all historical films and were considered to be acceptable at the time that they were made.  But the derogatory material that appears in television is produced today, not in the past.  Shows and sitcoms, humorous as they may be, display racism that is offensive, yet commonly ignored by society.
Popular shows, like Family Guy, Glee, Two Broke Girls and several others, contain extremely racist stereotypes and depict different characters in offensive manners.
“There is a lot of racism in popular shows but that doesn’t really bother a lot of people,”  Klein said. “I think most people don’t really think it’s right, but still watch [the shows] if they’re funny.”
In fact, 24 percent of RBHS students state that if humorous, stereotypes and racism can be acceptable.
“There are lots of stereotypes and generalizations in lots of shows, but especially in Glee,” Klein said.  “The show goes out its way to be racist and stereotypical, and I get that its trying to be funny, but it really isn’t.”
For example, Brittany Pierce, a caucasian cheerleader, is depicted as being thoroughly uneducated.  The two Asian characters, Tina and Mike, both have the last name of Chang, the third most popular last name in China; despite the fact that Tina, played by Jenna Ushkowitz, is actually of Korean descent.  The only Jewish character to appear on the show is named Ben Israel, while the Hispanic cheerleader is named Santana Lopez.
Many people see stereotypes in shows or movies, but label it as acceptable because “it’s just a joke” or “it’s funny.”
“A lot of people ignore racism in the media, especially shows like Family Guy and Glee, because the shows are so popular and funny that nobody wants to speak out about it,” sophomore Moiz Muhammad said.  “People understand racism is bad, but there are always exceptions, like humor, that are tagged onto the end so the situation is never improved.”
However, some say pointing out the flaws in racism in media does not improve the situation.
“Honestly, if you don’t let it get into your mind and you don’t let it bother you, then it isn’t a problem,” sophomore Molly Gunter said.  “People keep talking about [racism] but if you don’t mention it, it loses its power; like [Morgan Freeman] said, the best way to improve racism is to stop talking about it.”
Winant, however, believes racism must be confronted to be improved.
“Face up to the truth …. Name discrimination when you see it,” Winant urges. “Call it out, don’t be afraid to confront racism.”
By Ji-Ho Lee

Final Infographic 2
Based on 10% of the RBHS student population
Infographic by Joy ParkCultural Traditions
Traditions often define cultures. Foreign cultures and holidays are prevalent in America, and are so common that some don’t even realize it.
At Rock Bridge, the annual Global Village event celebrates and spreads knowledge about other cultures.  Whether it’s a religious holiday or the celebration of a  historical event, cultural traditions and holidays celebrate and glorify all types of cultures and their overall background.
Craig Palmer, a cultural anthropologist who teaches at the University of Missouri, explained the true definition of a cultural tradition or holiday. In an e-mail interview, he said people who remember traditions today have gotten them from their family tree that celebrated such a tradition long ago and went in-depth on exactly how they have translated into how people celebrate them today.
“Cultural traditions can be defined as behaviors copied from ancestors,” Palmer said. ”Until the last few thousand years, and much more recently in some parts of the world, essentially all cultural behavior was traditional. Culture is such an integral part of human existence because natural selection favored our ancestors who transmitted behaviors to their descendants, and influenced those descendants to transmit the same behaviors to their descendants, for hundreds if not thousands of generations.”
Palmer went on to explain this transmission, which he said ultimately led to even more cultures being spread through learning about them from their ancestors.“As the number of descendants increased because of traditions,” Palmer said, “there was more and more contact with people who had different traditions.  This contact, occurring ten thousand years ago in some parts of the world and far more recently in others, led to the copying of behaviors that were different from the behaviors of one’s ancestors.  Further, the recognition of one different way of performing some task led to thinking up completely novel ways of doing a task and innovation in behavior started to accelerate at a pace that continues to increase today.”
One such cultural tradition is the major Muslim holiday known as Eid Al-Fitr. Eid Al-Fitr is a three-day-long holiday that celebrates the end of Ramadan, the holy month for Muslims.
During Ramadan, Muslims fast every day from sunrise to sunset and pay extra attention to a more powerful connection to Allah. Eid Al-Fitr celebrates the end of this month. Lots of people socialize and spend time with friends and family. They celebrate their achievement for fasting for 30 days by also feasting on food and giving out sweets.
Freshman Yousuf El-Jayyousi is a Muslim who celebrates Eid Al-Fitr every year. In an e-mail interview, he explained how Muslims celebrate the holiday.
“We generally celebrate this holiday by coming together as a community in the morning and praying together,” El-Jayyousi said. “We then talk among each other and exchange gifts and sweets between family and friends. Many families then go out and eat, visit each other, and take their kids to go out and play.”
Another major cultural tradition is Diwali, a primarily Hindu holiday that is also known as the “festival of lights.” According to a survey from the Pew Research Center, seven in ten Indian-Americans have said they celebrate Diwali. This holiday, which lasts for five days, remembers the homecoming of the Hindu Lords Rama, Sita, and Lakshman after their release from prison. However, non-Hindus celebrate the holiday as well, because it shows how good wins over evil.
“I really like the story behind it and the tradition that comes with it,” senior Anmol Sethi said, who celebrates Diwali herself. “This holiday celebrates the homecoming of Ram, Sita and Lakshman after years of exile. We celebrate now by lighting candles, making lots of food and spending time with loved ones.”
Traditions and holidays from foreign cultures can be different to celebrate in America rather than the home countries of those who celebrate them. One possible reason is that there most likely aren’t as many people who celebrate the holiday that are close by in America. Another reason is that if the tradition is a minority tradition, then the celebrations might not be as intense as if the celebrators would celebrate it in their home country.
“Migration to another culture raises the stakes involved in the decision of whether or not to continue traditional behaviors,” Palmer said. “Greater effort is required to maintain traditions when the copying of new nontraditional behaviors is constantly available.  The benefits of maintaining traditions must be weighed against the consequences of having those traditions set one apart from many of the people around you. What is the right decision in these situations is obviously up to each individual.”
El-Jayyousi currently celebrates Eid Al-Fitr in America. However, he has also celebrated the holiday in his home country, Palestine. He said he enjoys celebrating Eid Al-Fitr in America more due to the camaraderie formed with the community during Ramadan and Eid Al-Fitr itself.
“Having lived in a country in which the majority of the population was Muslim,” El-Jayyousi said, “I would still say I enjoy celebrating Eid Al-Fitr in America more. Though it is nice having a few days off for Eid in a majority Muslim country, I still prefer the sense of community here. Because we have a smaller community here in America, you know more of the people you are celebrating it with, making it more enjoyable. Also, I feel as though celebrating Eid in America can have more meaning because not everybody celebrates it which makes us stand out a bit more.”
Sethi said Diwali would most certainly be fun to celebrate in India; possibly even more exciting than in America. However, due to the fact that she hasn’t celebrated the holiday yet in India, she doesn’t know what the holiday would be like in India, so she doesn’t have a true preference yet.
“I think it would be fun to celebrate it in India,” Sethi said, “but I don’t really have a preference though.”
In America, foreign cultural traditions can be big sites of discrimination. People tend to pay little attention to certain cultures in-depth and begin to make generalizations about those cultures. The truth is, some love their own cultures and cannot stand the thought of exploring others, which leads to generalizations about traditions and holidays. These generalizations become the go-to saying for many and can even escalate into cultural mockery.
“Americans tend to be ethnocentric,” Palmer said. “That is, they consider their own culture’s behaviors to be the best, and thus tend to discriminate against those who have different behaviors.”
Palmer went on to say that even though Americans behave this way, essentially all cultures are ethnocentric as well. He also said that such an attitude is usually held by those who can afford one.
“What actually distinguishes modern American culture is how many Americans think it is bad to be ethnocentric (including me),” Palmer said, “and how many Americans even have the ‘Noble Savage Syndrome’ where one’s own society is seen as bad and far inferior to other cultures.  Such an attitude may only occur when people are so secure in their power and wealth that they can afford such an attitude.”
Many in America are uninformed about minority cultures. There are a large percentage who are informed of these cultures, but there are still a very large number of Americans citizens still uninformed. The American majority is so large that it is not a surprise that many from that majority might not be culturally aware. In fact, the Pew Research Center found that 95 percent of America was Christian or uninvolved in religion. The rest of the five percent combines for all of the other religions in America. This enormous majority might be why a handful of America is culturally unaware, as the majority tends to blind out the minority cultures.
Palmer believes Americans have in fact discriminated other foreign cultures and thought theirs to be the best. However, he believes we have not totally ignored these traditions, and that America tends to enjoy unknown cultures more.
“No, I think Americans have usually paid great attention to the traditions of people who have migrated here from other parts of the world (with slavery being an exception where the traditions were not just ignored, but systematically and intentionally destroyed)”, Palmer said. “In most cases, we find ‘exotic’ traditions interesting and use this interest in various ways (Chinatowns, ethnic restaurants, etc.).  This doesn’t mean we have always treated the traditions of others in a good way.  Indeed, we have often mocked, distorted, and demeaned such traditions, but we rarely ignore them.”
El-Jayyousi’s view is that other U.S. citizens are not greatly informed about Muslim holidays like Eid Al-Fitr. However, for those who are, he believes they view it as special and unique.
“I feel as though other people here in the US don’t know much about our holidays and what they’re about,” El-Jayyousi said. “For people who are informed about our holidays, I think they view it as different but also beautiful in a way due to the fact that we celebrate it as a community rather than just with our family.”
Sethi, however, believes people view Diwali as a new and enjoyable experience, as with any other cultural tradition.
“I think others see this holiday as interesting and fun to be a part of,” Sethi said.
The U.S. Census has already estimated that a white majority in America will be gone by the year 2043. As that time comes closer and closer, America already needs to start acknowledging different traditions. However, racism is already a significant problem in the nation and beginning to acknowledge other cultures more and more will only help relieve tensions between races and cultures and might promote peace.
“The easy answer is just to continue to put forth the noble savage syndrome and claim to celebrate diversity as if all parts of all other cultures are wonderful,” Palmer said of how America could begin to acknowledge other cultures,”and it is only our culture that suffers from ethnocentrism and other ills.  However, better long-term consequences may come from a more thoughtful approach.”
Palmer went on to explain the contradiction of liking other cultures and how we only tend to celebrate cultural diversity if we like them. He said that usually if people don’t like a culture, the celebration of cultural diversity  turns into hardcore ethnocentrism.
“However, schedule an exhibition of Newfoundland seal-clubbing (where I do fieldwork),” Palmer said, “or Yanomamo wife beating, or African female genital mutilation during a celebrate diversity week, and you will see people immediately shift from celebrating diversity to extreme ethnocentrism.  So there are no easy answers, but all in all, knowledge and logic usually end up to better decisions than does political ideology and emotion.”
By Faaris Khan

Representing Culture Through Fashion and Apparel
In a society increasingly focused upon the first seven seconds of appearance, what you wear defines who you are. According to a leadership success blog managed by Brian Tracy, chairman and CEO of Brian Tracy International, apparel makes up 95 percent of a first impression.
Those few seconds of materialistic image are thus crucial, as they are often times primed right down to the last gold wedding band. One’s groom, hairstyle and jewelry– any elemental presentation amounts to the discernment of personality and reputation.
From this, it can be concluded that fashion is an outrageous, dominant form of self-expression.
“Dress is really a barometer for social change,” Laurel Wilson, emeritus professor at the University of Missouri Department of Textiles and Apparel Management, said. “You can look at a dress and see attitudes. You can look at dress and see changes in technology. You can look at dress and see ideology. Dress really does show us, in person, how people responded– and respond– to the world around them.”
Miuccia Prada, Italian fashion designer and entrepreneur of the famous Prada and Mui Mui brand, states fashion as an “instant language.” It is a language of the purest, most authentic form of cultural identity.
Fashion allows for representation of a racial group’s history and virtue. People have the creative opportunity to express their appearance, allowing them to travel in time and to endorse in a broader perspective for racial tolerance.
An annual RBHS tradition allowed students and staff to do just this. Every March, Global Village takes place to simultaneously promote diversity and to celebrate individual cultures around the world. One particular day during the Global Village week is the International Fashion Show. On this day, students model and mesmerize the RBHS population with beautiful traditional fabrics and design.
Jimin Lee, a RBHS junior who participated in the Global Village fashion show, represented her country by modeling a Korean traditional garment called “hanbok.”
“Participating in the show influenced me a lot,” Lee said. “I found it really interesting that every traditional dress had their own special color and form. For example, Zimbabwe’s clothes have more solid colors than other countries, which I like.”
According to a survey of 10 percent of the student population, 60 percent of respondents admitted they were disinclined to acknowledge the backgrounds of minoring ethnic groups. In other words, heritages are being overlooked, and ultimately disregarded.
In a similar RBHS questionnaire, a predominant 97 percent of students chose African Americans to be the most targeted and affected racial group regarding stereotypes. Ironically however, Africa plays a potent role in the global fashion and apparel industry. Fashion designers such as Gucci, Burberry and Michael Kors have repeatedly tapped the African continent in search for inspirations.
“The world has a set remote ideology of Africa,” Michelle Wu, RBHS sophomore, said. “But in actuality, Africa is a hidden gem. We look up to the African culture for ideas and inspirations. And that shows how significant Africa really is.”
When the Western civilization thinks of Africa, they rouse up images of stereotypical animal print and tribal pattern. Nigerian born designer Duro Olowu finds the stereotypes on Africa patronizing.
“Africa has always been used as a reference point,” Olowu said. “But not as a valued source of serious fashion.”
Africa is greater than zebra print. The significance behind African textiles are more than meets the eye.
The history behind mudcloths, a popular Malian design, is arcane. Used in many clothing items such as leggings, pants, and tops, many people don’t know that mud cloths (natively called Bògòlanfini) originate from Mali, Africa, where it directly translates to “earth with cloth.”
The Malian tradition compiles several unique symbols and motifs, similar to that of hieroglyphics, to tell a religious and symbolic story. It revives, strengthens and represents the “bona fide” of the Malian community, as there will always be the lure and secretism towards outsiders.
Wilson appreciates traditional textiles all over the world, as it is a good way for people to share culture. However, she believes that these textiles should be respected.
“We must be careful about the use of some textiles because some motifs have specific, personal meaning to the group that created them, and it might be considered a dishonor for another culture to adopt them,” Wilson said.
Similarly, other American fashion styles are derived from diverse sectors around the world. The current teenage fad in flowy, oversized kimonos are inspired by (you guessed it!) ancient Japan. Kimonos are Japan’s traditional garment, made easily with a straight-line-cut method, which provides quick production and no concern over the wearer’s body.
The American supremacy of adapting other culture’s fashion is seen when one searches “kimono” on the Google search engine. Instead of the explanation and historical background of traditional Japanese kimonos, a web result for Forever 21’s “Fringed Floral Embroidered Kimono” merchandise crawls up.
“Personally, my country’s identity is represented through clothing really well. Korea’s traditional clothes demonstrate people’s social classes. For example, royal families wear Hanboks made of plain and patterned silk. Therefore, even in those days, Hanbok expresses the Korean heritage and background,” Lee explained.
Along with flower print shirts from the tropics, ikat prints from South America, moccasins from Native Americans, eyeliner from ancient Egypt, leather jackets from Russia, and the intricate henna designs of India, America is identified as a melting pot for modern fashion’s cultural influence.
Whether inspired by the already inherent styles of a distinct culture or lifestyle, America accustoms the fashion genre to whatever fits.
“Obviously, since America has a very diverse population, the American fashion is strongly influenced by other countries,” Lee said. “In my opinion, these influences affect the United States negatively, because it doesn’t allow America to have a genuine culture.”
In accordance to heritage, culture groups are structured through everyday activities and lifestyles. Whatever the division may be, they create a culture that influences the way one dresses. Because of this, hobbies have a tendency to affect an individual’s sense of style and fashion.
“Most Americans select dress based on current fashion trends. But those trends are all influenced by the place of an individual in a particular social group,” Wu said. “These choices are influenced through messages about dress in media like TV, music, sports, leisure activities and religion.”
Whether guys are sporting neon Nike tees, or whether girls are donning Lululemon athletic apparel, both groups are associating themselves as being ‘active’ and ‘cool.’ These name brand styles represent the authenticity of American youth culture.
With 24 percent of RBHS surveyees not recognizing where a certain fashion style originates, the American fashion realm continues to further accommodate the native trend to the point where locals cannot distinguish the textile’s authentic origination and significance.
“It’s difficult knowing all of the fashion pieces and how they came to be about. But being able to recognize a few of the culture’s significance and origination is definitely important,” Wu said.
Coco Chanel, a revolutionary fashion designer and famed figure during the nineteenth century, stated fashion as natural and forever eternal. “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street. Fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, and what is happening.”
Clothing is a powerful medium that connects universally. Though culturally different, each piece of apparel shares the same unique story.
“Many people would have to open their minds to difference and, hopefully, they will find that people have similar dreams and hopes no matter how they appear on the surface,” Wilson said. “Our beliefs can be changed by interacting with others that are different than ourselves.”
By Joy Park[TS_VCSC_Image_Hover_Effects hover_image=”272949″ effect_style_type=”text” effect_style_text=”ts-hover-effect-jazz” effect_style_icons=”ts-hover-effect-zoe” effect_permanent=”false” title_color=”#ffffff” content_text=”RBHS students dress in traditional Korean apparel, called hanboks, for the Global Village fashion show.” content_color_text=”#000000″ content_color_other=”#ffffff” content_color_icons=”#000000″ overlay_handle_show=”true” overlay_handle_color=”#2bb673″ hover_event=”none” hover_show_title=”true” hover_video_related=”false” hover_video_auto=”true” tooltip_html=”false” tooltipster_offsetx=”0″ tooltipster_offsety=”0″ margin_top=”0″ margin_bottom=”0″][TS_VCSC_Image_Hover_Effects hover_image=”273435″ effect_style_type=”text” effect_style_text=”ts-hover-effect-jazz” effect_style_icons=”ts-hover-effect-zoe” effect_permanent=”false” title_color=”#ffffff” content_text=”RBHS students dress up in traditional Zimbabwe and Congolese apparel for the Global Village fashion show.” content_color_text=”#000000″ content_color_other=”#ffffff” content_color_icons=”#000000″ overlay_handle_show=”true” overlay_handle_color=”#2bb673″ hover_event=”none” hover_show_title=”true” hover_video_related=”false” hover_video_auto=”true” tooltip_html=”false” tooltipster_offsetx=”0″ tooltipster_offsety=”0″ margin_top=”0″ margin_bottom=”0″][vc_video link=”https://vimeo.com/123747201″]

Photos and Video taken by Rebecca Gray
Audio Interview by Faaris Khan

[TS_VCSC_Soundcloud url=”https://soundcloud.com/rbhsbearingnews/sidharth-kutikkad-freshman” start_track=”0″ auto_play=”false” color=”#2bb673″ show_user=”true” show_artwork=”false” show_playcount=”true” show_comments=”true” show_reposts=”false” hide_related=”true” sharing=”true” download=”true” liking=”true” buying=”true” margin_top=”0″ margin_bottom=”0″]