RBHS doubles teams rank first and second at individual sectional, qualify for state

Senior Harry Bozoian returns a serve in a singles match against Joplin. Photo by Catherine Howser
Senior Harry Bozoian returns a serve in a singles match against Joplin.  Photo by Catherine Howser
Senior Harry Bozoian returns a serve in a singles match against Joplin.
Photo by Catherine Howser

Two RBHS doubles teams qualified for state individual championships.

Doubles partners junior Rohit Rao and senior Raymond Majors finished first with a 6-2, 6-0 win while freshman Brian Baker and senior Harry Bozoian finished second with a score of 6-2, 6-4. Both teams will continue on to the state championship on Thursday, May 29.

“Harry and I have been playing dubs [doubles] since the middle towards the end of the season, and it has worked out well,” Baker said. “He’s really good at pumping you up and getting you into the match, and I kind of help calm down the team when we are in a tight situation.”

For Baker, being down in the second match 1-4 was concerning, but his pair was able to come back. Now both teams look ahead to playing for a shot at a state championship. Majors, who has played doubles with Rao since they were 14 years old, looks forward to his last year at state for both individual and team championships.

Tennis Coach Ben Loeb believes the key to success lies in maintaining a competitive balance when the stakes are high.

“The competitive balance is a balance between competitive fight and emotional control,” Loeb said. “That plus having a genuine level of confidence is very important.”
By Emily Franke