Bruins rewarded with victory against Moberly

Senior Laurie Frew takes control of the ball and dribbles it down the field. Photo by Jazzmine Matthews.

As many of their senior classmates prepared for the Salute to Seniors ceremony Wednesday, May 14, the varsity girls soccer teams fought to bring home another victory for RBHS. Winning 8-0 against Moberly High School, the Bruins won their last game before Districts next week.
Senior Becca Adams played in the game and felt as though the team’s win proved they are well-prepared for next week’s games.
“We played great. We have finally come together as a team and everything yesterday worked really well for us,” Adams said. “I think that showed everyone we’re in a really good position going into districts on Monday.”
The reason this year’s team has found much success in their season is because of how well the girls support each other, Adams said. She attributed their success to how well the teammates play together.
“I think we are really strong this year, mostly because out team is so close, Adams said. “It makes it so much easier to play good when your whole team is behind you.”
Senior Laurie Frew also played in Wednesday’s game, which was held at RBHS,  and was happy with the team’s performance. She said they handled the ball well and working together led to the win. She believes the team is ready for future games.
“We are ready. We just need to work on playing to feet and moving off the ball,” Frew said. “Those things are being emphasized in our practices before Monday’s game.”
Both Adams and Frew are seniors, and will be graduating on next Thursday, May 22. They said their performance is not hindered by the senior activities, though, and have confidence they will play their best in the coming weeks.
“There was a lot going on this week and next week. It was easy for me to focus because I look forward to playing,” Frew said. “Soccer is my way to relax and have fun.”
Although the girls have many activities happening in the coming days, Adams said she has full confidence that the team will perform well in the coming weeks.
“I think everybody just has to play as hard as they can,” Adams said. “If everyone plays with heart and their most intensity, we can win every game.”
The District Tournament starts Monday, May 19, and state championships are coming up June 6 – 7.
By Afsah Khan