Bruins defeat Fatima in last game before districts

The Bruins get in a team huddle for their practice on Thursday. Photo by Maribeth Eiken
Bruin players practicing before playing Fatima. RBHS won 5-1 in the last game before the district tournament.

The Bruins baseball team took on Fatima (16-8) in their final regular season home game of the year yesterday. Bruins won 5-1, leaving their record at 17-12 heading into the district tournament.

RBHS kept Fatima from making a run until the 6th inning. Sophomore outfielder, Taten Lyngstad, said the team did a good job at keeping their energy up throughout the whole game in order to close.

“We’ve been having trouble closing out teams late in the game so it was good to see us finish strong going into districts,” Lyngstad said.

After having a week packed with six games, the team is now able to relax and get back into the execution of key points. Lyngstad said the Bruins need to work on advancing the ball in order for base runners to move and score runs. Keeping the other team off base is also key, Lyngstad said.

“If we leave two or more runners on base that lets a team linger around,” Lyngstad said, “which makes it tougher to come out with a [win].”

Junior shortstop and pitcher, Logan Twehous,  had similar views on the team’s dynamic during the game. He believes keeping focus is the most important thing Bruins can do to win. Throughout the year, Twehous said, the team have let teams catch up later in the game because they lose focus.

“If we can finish teams off, we will be a very hard team to beat,” Twehous said.

This game was a well-needed win to boost confidence before districts after having a tough week. Bruins honed in on skills and walked away winning their last home game of the regular season.

“Overall, we competed like we know how and played Bruins baseball,” sophomore Avery Jennings, shortstop, said.
By Renata Williams
Bruins will play next on Fri., May 16 at home in the district tournament.