Baseball falls to CBC

Senior C.J. Ardini throws a ground ball to first base during practice. Photo by Maribeth Eiken
Senior C.J. Ardini throws a ground ball to first base during practice.  Photo by Maribeth Eiken
Senior C.J. Ardini throws a ground ball to first base during practice.
Photo by Maribeth Eiken
After a 3-0 win against Blue Springs South, the Bruins baseball team hosted CBC looking to improve on their overall record in the season.
Junior Chandler Wyatt was on the mound for RBHS on a hot, windy day. The Bruins gave a good contest to CBC, but the opponents ended up piling 14 runs on the board to the Bruins five.
Senior right-fielder Kyle Teeter, who hit third for the Bruins, said it was frustrating to give up so many runs, but it was nice to see the Bruins didn’t give up even though it was their second game of the day.
“The team competed very well for the few innings, but as the game progressed, you could see that the week had worn on us, and we just couldn’t pull it out,” Teeter said. “But overall, the competitiveness was there.”
After a double from Logan Twehous scored Teter to tie the game at two in the bottom of the third, it all went downhill for RBHS from there. The Bruins gave up another 12 runs in the next four innings and only managed to score three more. The home team made a few errors on the field that proved to be too costly at the end.
Senior catcher Jacob Schmidt said the team didn’t lack anything but just couldn’t make the simple plays.
“I mean losing isn’t always fun, but at the end of the day you just need to see if you got better that day and, even though we lost, we got better as a team,” Schmidt said.
This was the Bruin’s sixth game of the week and fatigue played a major role on all the errors. Head coach Justin Towe said he wasn’t frustrated seeing the team lose by such a large margin because he knew the team was tired from all the games this week.
“I know we were tired and once you get tired, you start making those errors you could have easily prevented on any other day,” Towe said. “We don’t play till Tuesday now, so we have time to get some rest and regroup.”
The Bruins will play Fatima on their home field on Tuesday. Five days from now, RBHS plays in the district tournament. Teeter said the team finally has some breathing space in their schedule now, so  they need to take some rest but remain focused for the challenges coming up ahead.
“In this one, we just got tired and made some silly mistakes, but now we have to look ahead,” Teeter said. “We just need to rest up and be ready to get after it next game, get better at damage control and focus on making plays. That’s all there is to it.”
By Harsh Singh