Bruins blast Kewpies, sweep season series

Senior Raymond majors returns a ball against Joplin on April 19th.
Senior Raymond Majors returns a ball against Joplin on April 19th.

The Bruins took to the tennis courts Wednesday in a bid to defeat the Kewpies for the second time this season and extend their impressive winning streak against Hickman.

The Bruins swept the singles competition handily not dropping a set. The Bruins won on at number one with Rohit Rao defeating Junyi Wu 6-3 and 6-1, at number two with Raymond Majors defeating Blake Wisniewski 6-2 and 6-2, at number three with Brian Baker defeating Sam Pottipadu 7-5 and 6-0, at number four with Harry Bozoian defeating JAcob Muchow 6-3 and 6-2, at number five with John Swift defeating Ben Goodfellow 6-2 and 6-1 and on court six with Nate Horvit defeating Mickey Hua 6-4 and 6-3.

“It felt good playing our rival team and not dropping a single match out of the two meets,” Rock Bridge senior Raymond Majors said. “It felt even better that we came out stronger in the second meet and closed the matches we struggled winning with last time. Hickman still represented themselves greatly in both duels and got a good experience from it.”

Rock Bridge junior Rohit Rao was challenged by Hickman’s top player Junyi Wu in one of the days more challenging matches.

“He’s a good player. He seemed to be having some trouble today,” Rao said of his singles opponent.   “With him I had a lead and he started to come back so I really had to pick my game up.”

The Bruins fared well in the doubles competition as well. The team of Rao and Baker defeated the team of Wisniewski and Pottipadu 6-2 and 6-2. Rock Bridges Majors and Bozoian defeated Hickman’s Wu and Blow 6-3 and 6-2. Horvit and Swift defeated Hickman’s Muchow and Hua 6-4 and 6-1.

The Bruins will be back in action April 30 versus Park Hill at Bethel followed by hosting the North Central Missouri Invitational on saturday May 3rd.

by Pen Terry