Baseball wins Columbia tournament behind strong hitting and smart pitching

Junior Adam Laffertly  warms up during practice on Thursday. Photo by Maribeth Eiken
Junior Adam Laffertly warms up during practice on Thursday.
Photo by Mikaela Acton

In Friday’s doubleheader, Bruins starting pitching went 2-0 and allowed only one run on 8 hits while striking out 14 in 11 innings. Saturday’s starter Logan Twehous looked to follow up those impressive performances with one of his own against Blair Oaks in the tournament championship game.

Twehous did not disappoint. The junior pitched four shutout innings allowing only three hits and fanning five.

“Everything was (working well for me),” Twehous said. “I was able to get ahead in counts and keep hitters off balance. I think the biggest part was being able to throw my change up. It was something I really worked on leading up to the season and it payed off and when I can put it together with my fastball and curveball it helped a lot keeping hitters off balance.”

The Bruins were unable to get to Blair Oaks starter Clayton Graessle early as the lanky left hander allowed no runs on one hit through the first three innings and seemed to be cruising with two outs in the first when junior Matt Widhalm reached base on an error which kicked off an inning in which the Bruins sent ten batters to plate and knocked in 6 runs. Junior Connor Brumfield said having senior Kyle Teeter hit after him makes things much easier.

“With me in the lead off and (Kyle Teeter) in the second spot whenever I get on base I feel like he is going to do his job behind me,” Brumfield said. “We work well together and I feel if I get in scoring position, the possibility of him scoring me is very high every time. It is a good one-two combo with us.”

Brumfield finished the day 2-3 with a walk, a double and 2 RBIs while Teeter went 3-4 with a double and 3 RBIs.

The Bruin Bullpen gave up two runs in the 5th before settling down and pitching a scoreless sixth and seventh. The bruins added another run in the sixth to win the game 7-2 and capture the Columbia tournament.

The Bruins will be back in action on April 21st as they travel to Jefferson City to take on Helias.

By Pen Terry