Two Bruins commit to continue soccer careers

Cooper Smith (12) poses with his parents at his signing ceremony on April 3rd, 2014

Following the final bell on Thursday, April 3, with rain pounding the skylights in the east atrium, seniors Salim Gumati and Cooper Smith signed letters of intent to continue their soccer careers at Rockhurst and Drury  University respectively.

In a ceremony attended by former RBHS head soccer coach Alex Nichols, former and current Rock Bridge athletic directors Jennifer Mast and David Egan as well as both players parents friends and family.

“I think it’s cool how Rock Bridge honors student athletes like Salim and I who are furthering our career at the next level,” Smith said.

Prior to the signing Alex Nichols, who was the head coach of the soccer program while Smith and Gumati were players, talked about each signee. Nichols complimented Gumati on his hard work and dedication to improvement. He talked about Smith’s high expectations for himself and teammates and his role as a leader on the team.

The two have played soccer together for 12 years and have made three trips to the state final four in there four years on as part of the program. The two will be attending colleges that will play each other every year in men’s soccer.

“I’m going to miss playing with Cooper after 12 years of playing with him,” said Gumati. “But we have to go our separate ways and I’ll enjoy playing against him the next 4 years.”

The athletes are the 32rd and 33rd from Rock Bridge to sign letters of intent to play sports in college.

By Pen Terry