Girls basketball drop 61, dominate Jays

IMG_8001small
Senior Kayla Cheadle holds the ball, looking for a teammate, against Hickman High School Wednesday, Jan. 29. The Bruins beat the Kewpies that night, much as they did tonight when the smashed the Jays, 61-23. Photo by Maribeth Eiken
[heading]The Bruins girls basketball team dominates the Jeff City Jays, 61-23.[/heading] For most teams it is tough to bounce back from a loss, especially when a team suffered a heartbreaking loss in a tournament final by three points against the No.1 team in the nation.
However, the Lady Bruins basketball team, which traveled to Jefferson City Thursday, Feb. 13, put up a sensational performance to defeat the Jays 61-23 after their heartbreaking 40-37 loss to Incarnate Word Academy four days ago.
Senior Bri Porter said it was important the team got back its winning form.
“We were approaching this game with the intention to fix what was needed after Incarnate,” Porter said. “I think we did, so everyone is pretty happy with that.”
The Lady Bruins got off to a 5-2 start with six minutes left in the first quarter. The beginning set the tone for the rest of the game as the Bruins led the Jays 41-12 at half time. Later, RBHS established an unassailable lead by the fourth period to move to 18-3 for the season.
Senior Chayla Cheadle, who was recently picked to play in the Elite Showcase Basketball Classic with teammate Porter, said there were many positives to gain after their thumping win. Cheadle said the team knew the Jays would provide a difficult challenge.
“I think the biggest positive from the game was our ball movement and team work,” Cheadle said. “Against our next opponents, we are just going to go in and execute the game plan and play Rock Bridge basketball.”
Porter said this game just symbolizes the success they have had this season. She said the toughness within each player in the team is one reason for their strong performances.
“We’ve all been playing together for a long time,” Porter said. “The team chemistry is really good. I think that is one of the main reasons.”
By Harsh Singh
The Lady Bruin’s next game will be against the No. 3 ranked Smithville High School tomorrow, Saturday, Feb. 15.