Boys soccer emerges victorious against Helias

Freshman Tarnue Tyler dribbles the ball up the field Sept. 26 at the Hickman v. Rock Bridge game as Hickman players Sophomore Marcus Tigue (middle left) and senior Philos Twagirayezu (right) run after the Bruin striker and wing midfielder. Photo by Daphne Yu
Chalking up yet another win to their growing list of victories, the RBHS boys varsity soccer team defeated the Helias Crusaders tonight, bringing the Bruin season to 10-5.
Scoring all of their goals in the first half, the Bruins trumped the Crusaders 4-1 with Helias’ one goal being the outcome of a penalty kick.
“We did our thing, we possessed the ball, quick passing, a lot of movement off of each other,” head coach Alex Nichols said. “We played as a team, a quick team”
But as the teams reconvened on the field after halftime, the Bruins lacked the determination and precision that had been so prominent in the first half.
“It’s a tale of two halfs,” Nichols said, “The first half we can beat any team when we play like that. When we’re on, we’re unbeatable. But when we lose control, we start to lose focus, we were both a team that couldn’t be beat and a team that was not in sync.”
By George Sarafianos