Cross country advances to state

Senior Evan Schulte runs in a October cross country meet. Schulte will run in the National Championship in December. Schulte, along with Zach Cook, signed to run for the University of Missouri on national signing day.
Zach Cook
Senior Zach Cook runs in the state sectional race. Cook took third place behind fellow runner and champion Evan Schulte.

[heading]Evan Schulte, Bruins victorious at state sectional meet[/heading]

It is always a team’s aspiration to be the best. The third ranked Bruin boys cross country team arrived in Camdenton, Mo. Saturday with one goal in mind: to take down the state’s top-ranked squad from West Plains, Mo.

When the tents came down in the early afternoon, the Bruins accomplished their goal.

In the boys’ championship race, senior Evan Schulte, the state’s second ranked individual, was the winner and set a new course record of 15:19, eclipsing the previous mark of 15:21 set by former RBHS standout Caleb Wilfong. Following Schulte for the Bruins were seniors Zach Cook, Luke Walters and Connor Crabtree, who finished 3rd, 12th and 13th, respectively. Junior Lucas Harrington rounded out the scoring five with a 21st place finish.

The Bruins finished with 41 points, beating West Plains by eight for the team title.

“It felt really good to beat West Plains,” Schulte said.  “I think this win will give us the confidence and momentum that we will need next week.  It will definitely show people that they have been underestimating us.”

Individually, Schulte is ranked second in the state behind Noah Kauppila of Marquette and is coming off four straight victories with a state championship is on his mind.

“Winning state individually has been a goal of mine for a long time,” Schulte said.  “I’m just trying to give it all I have to help the team win a state title Saturday.”

Not to be outdone, the Lady Bruins also came away victors, beating runner-up Jefferson City by 27 points.  The Girls’ team was led by the junior 1-2 punch of Kayla Funkenbusch and Sam Farmer, who were 1st and 2nd respectively.  Sophomores Emily Harl and Marilise Stamps were 4th and 6th, and senior Joanna Zhang finished 28th to round out the scoring five.

“It feels great to win today and I feel pretty confident going into state,” Funkenbusch said.  “I think we have a pretty strong team and if we are all on next week we will have a good shot at a state title.”
Just as the players and coaches hoped for, both the boys and girls will next race for state championships Saturday, Nov. 8 at The Oak Hills Golf Center in Jefferson City.
By Josh Ripley