Cross country makes in-state season race debut at Gans Creek Classic

Allison Kim, Editor-in-Chief

After opening up their season with two out-of-state meets, the girls’ and boys’ cross country teams ran their first race in Missouri at the Gans Creek Classic Saturday, Sept. 24. 

With over 600 finishers across both races in the most competitive Gold Division, the boys finished 3rd and the girls 4th against a field of 40 teams.

The team’s main goal this season has been to work on staying together during training. Both teams identified the biggest time gaps in their lineups and went into the race, hoping to minimize spreads between the first and last runner to cross the finish line.

Senior Tucker Abrams said with the growth of individual performances, the biggest part of executing a successful race is to stay as a pack throughout the race and tighten scores. 

Pulling off a race with a small spread depends heavily on the team’s bond pushing each runner to perform at their best. For freshman Claire Richardson, Gans Creek Classic was her first varsity race. Richardson said with the move up in division, she had to approach her training and race with this new strategy. 

“I feel like I definitely attacked it with more of a team mindset this race, as where on my last JV race I was in a position more for myself. I tried to make moves where I could and stay steady throughout the race,” Richardson said. “[The team] wanted to make sure that we were running for each other and limit ourselves from having selfish races.”

I’d say the bond we have with each other is what makes us different. I don’t think any other team cares about each other like we do. Coming from a different team, I can pretty much confirm that. When it starts to get really hard, and you start to think you can’t do it anymore, you just look over and see your teammates, and you want to do it for them.

— Tucker Abrams, senior

Richardson said the team aspect of the sport and her teammates helped her adjust as she navigated a new race environment.  

“I’ve focused on being consistent with my workouts and daily runs with my teammates,” Richardson said. “Especially with [senior] Grace Parsons and [sophomore] Amelie Crane , who have been my biggest mentors this year.” 

Abrams found himself in a similar position needing to adjust to a new team after running at Hickman High School for the past three years. He said the team’s bond was not only important in improving performance, but also in helping each runner stay motivated throughout the race. 

“I’d say the bond we have with each other is what makes us different. I don’t think any other team cares about each other like we do. Coming from a different team, I can pretty much confirm that,” Abrams said. “When it starts to get really hard, and you start to think you can’t do it anymore, you just look over and see your teammates, and you want to do it for them.”

While neither team was satisfied with their race results, Abrams said the teams would continue to build upon the skills they have been working on all season and use each race as an experience to move toward their postseason goals, which include state championships and going to Nike Cross Nationals.  

“Today’s meet may not have played out like we wanted, but we get to learn from it,” Abrams said. “I think everyone gave effort, and that’s all you can really do. Outcomes aren’t always what you want them to be. I’m very proud of these guys.”

How do you think cross country will do in their postseason? Let us know in the comments below.