College visits pepper September schedules

Alabama-and-Truman-State-bannersGuidance will be a busy place this month with 13 colleges sending representatives to visit. The visiting officials will offer insight and answer questions pertaining to their school.  With the pressure of choosing a school looming for seniors the visits can give extra information when trying to narrow down a list of schools.

The University of Denver visits on Sept. 18 and Sept. 24, Southeast Missouri, Northwest Missouri, and Columbia College will send representatives to meet with students. Quincy University, Truman State, Saint Louis University and the University of Alabama will send representatives the following day Sept. 25.

The goal of the representatives coming to RBHS is to give students a quick overview of their school and answer specific questions regarding their school.

“We know that high school students are extremely busy and may not have the time to do multiple campus visits,” Laura Kleinschmidt, a Saint Louis University admissions Counselor said. “The high school visit allows us to bring the campus to the student. It’s also a great chance for us to get to know the students who are very interested in our institutions and begin to form a relationship with them at the beginning of the admission process.”

The visit can answer specific questions about application deadlines, scholarship opportunities, academic programs, studying abroad opportunities and financial aid. Also during the visit students can learn about the campus life of each school. Seniors entering the admission process can ask questions to help get them through the admissions process such as when to apply for financial aid, and how to plan visits to the college campus.

“This is a great way for us to inform students about our schools. If a student is interested in multiple schools this gives them the ability to meet with each school before visiting to determine what schools might be the best fit for their college career,” Kristen Revis, the  out of town enrollment coordinator at Lindenwood University, said, “ Not every student has an opportunity to visit the school that they are interested in attending in person, so this is a way to bring the school to them.”

Representatives from University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia College, Washington, Iowa State and Lindenwood.

“I encourage students to make a list of questions that they definitely need to know the answer to before committing to a school,” Brittany Ellerman, admissions counselor at Quincy University said.  “They will spend the next four years of their lives at that institution so don’t leave any rocks unturned when looking at all college options.”