Bruin boys tennis takes runner-up at state tournament

Bruins face-off against Colts prior to today's state semi-final match. Photo by Madeline Jones
Bruins face-off against Colts prior to today’s state semi-final match. Photo by Madeline Jones

Claiming runner-up, the Bruin boys tennis team fell to Rockhurst in the state championship duel today. The Bruins lost to the Hawklets, last year’s runner-up, 5-0.

Rockhurst won the first five single’s matches of the duel, clinching the state title.

The Bruins were only able to win sets against the solid Rockhurst team.  RBHS’s No. 4 Jacob Winton won his first set and the first finished set of the duel. From there Rockhurst cruised only being challenged in the final set of the match-up of number ones, Alex Jones and Alex Koca,  which Koca won 9-7 in tiebreak.

Rockhurst’s Koca, John Nogalski, Jack Evans, Joe O’connor and Sinjin Nair all recorded straight sets victories. The match between Winton and his opponent, Jacob Moore, was suspended after the Hawklets clinched the victory.

A Bruin victory in the match would have meant a fourth straight state title and fifth in six years, both unprecedented feats in Missouri Class 2 boys tennis history.

The Hawklets were undoubtedly hungry to avenge their loss to the Bruins in last year’s state championship duel which they lost by a score or 5-2.

After the meet Winton, who had little to say about the meet, pointed out that “Rockhurst played very well.”

Rock Bridge and Rockhurst have combined to win the past seven Class 2 boys tennis state championships and the rivalry looks promising for the future. Both schools will return several players to their varsity squads next year.