Bruin individual tennis dominates

Bruin individual tennis dominates

tennisSaturday marked the varsity individual tournament, where six Bruins played, including seniors Alex Jones and Billy Swift, juniors Jacob Winton, Harry Bozoian and Raymond Majors, and sophomore Rohit Rao.

Jones and Swift teamed up to play doubles, Winton and Rao did likewise, while Bozoian and Majors played singles. The team faced off against many teams across Mid-Missouri, including opponents from Camdenton and Jefferson City.

In doubles, both teams never lost a match until the finals where they faced off. Jones and Swift struggled to defeat the Winton-Rao juggernaut, ultimately giving up the game, losing 4-6 in both sets for the upset.

“Jones and I were definitely disappointed because we feel like anytime we go out there we can always win,” Swift said. “But it was also good to see from a team perspective Jacob and Rohit playing so well.”

Both teams will advance to sectionals, where Jones and Swift say they hope to defeat Winton and Rao.

In singles, Bozoian and Majors fared a little worse. Bozoian did not make it to the finals, barely losing in three sets 3-6, 7-5 and 1-6 in the quarterfinals to Luc Ginoux. This player was a French foreign exchange student from Camdenton, who won the entire tournament, narrowly beating Majors 7-5 in two sets.

Overall, the tournament was a success as all members except one of the Bruin team made it to sectionals, with Bozoian only just cut. Jones, Swift, Winton, Rao and Majors will play again on tomorrow, Tuesday, at Bethel Park.

By Derek Wang