Boys tennis breezes into district finals with decisive victory over Camdenton

Billy Swift returns a hit against Camdenton’s Connor Burton during the first set of his match. Smith went on to win 6-1 and won the second 6-2. Photo by Pen Terry
Billy Swift returns a hit against Camdenton’s Connor Burton during the first set of his match. Swift went on to win 6-1 and won the second 6-2. Photo by Pen Terry
The varsity boys tennis team easily defeated Camdenton High School yesterday, May 9, to advance to the district finals, today at Bethel Park. Five matches need to be won by a team to advance in the district tournament, the Bruins clinched victory quickly by winning their their first five matches Tuesday.
“I feel like we played really well,” sophomore Rohit Rao said of the team’s performance.
Rao, like the other Bruins who played on Tuesday, won his best of three sets match in the first two sets.  Like Rao, juniors Jacob Winton and Raymond Majors won their matches without dropping a game, winning both sets 6-0.
Senior Billy Swift dominated his sets 6-1, 6-2. Not to be outdone, junior Harry Bozoian won his sets 6-0, 6-1.
The only match of the day that was not over quickly was the Bruin’s number one player, senior Alex Jones, against Camdenton’s number one player Luc Ginoux. Ginoux is a foreign exchange student from France who is playing this year for Camdenton. Jones was eventually able to take both sets 6-2 each.
“I think we all played pretty much as well as we needed to, to win,” Winton said.
The team will be in action again to compete for the district title on Wednesday May 8 at Bethel Park at 4 p.m. when they take on Jefferson City.
By Pen Terry