Boys tennis team dominates in Park Hill meet

Junior Jacob Winton returns a shot during a match Wednesday afternoon. Winton went on to win the set. Photo by Asa Lory
Sophomore Rohit Rao begins a serve at yesterday's Rock Bridge Boys Tennis meet against Park Hill. Photo by Asa Lory
Sophomore Rohit Rao begins a serve at yesterday’s boys tennis game against Park Hill. Photo by Asa Lory
During the Bruin Invite against Park Hill in Bethel Park yesterday, April 24, the boys tennis team defeated Park Hill 9-0 just two days before the varsity team will go on to the Tournament of Champions this Friday, April 26.
While the boys team did not lose any matches to Park Hill, Coach Ben Loeb said inclement weather had shortened the amount of available after-school team practices, affecting the team’s doubles play in particular.
“I thought we did well; I thought we especially did well with the singles, and doubles we’re going to need to keep working on and getting better [at],” Loeb said, “because they played us closer yesterday in doubles than they did in singles, and we did some good things in doubles, but we still need to keep improving if we want to be as successful as we want to be in the end.”
Regardless of the small bumps, senior Billy Swift, a varsity team member, said the boys tennis team is prepared to come out on top in any event.
“Alex Jones and I struggled some in doubles,” Swift said, “but ultimately we found a way to win, which is what you have to do in those situations.”
By Blake Becker