Ice cream of the future on sale outside of commons

Half of Dippin’ Dots sales go back to school

Students can buy Dippin' Dots outside the school on May 2 -3 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Half the proceeds go to the school. Photo by Muhammad Al-Rawi
If you walk outside the doors of the main commons right now, the creamy, cold taste of Dippin’ Dots will be at the tip of your tastebuds.
Dippin’ Dots will be selling ice cream on May 2 -3 at a discounted price in the front circle drive of RBHS from 9 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. as a way to raise money for the school.
According to Dippin’ Dots vendor Ed Palmquist, the fundraiser was created by the Dippin’ Dots franchise as a way to raise awareness of their product to overcome the summer heat.
“They wanted to just make students aware of Dippin’ Dots for when the summer season comes along, so they’re doing a one-day special where 50 percent [of the income] goes back to the schools,” Palmquist said. “They’re doing that not nationwide, but many of the 200 franchisees are doing that in their communities.”
After working frequently with the school’s show choir program, Palmquist said the Columbia franchisee decided RBHS would be a “great location” to host the fundraiser. Palmquist contacted athletic director Jennifer Mast to inquire about the opportunity and set a date. Though Mast had never heard of the fundraiser before, she was more than willing to accept the offer.
“It’s really an opportunity Dippin’ Dots brought to us, and all I hear and see is that kids like Dippin’ Dots, so why not give them the opportunity to buy Dippin’ Dots for a couple days,” Mast said. “It’ll raise a little bit of money for Rock Bridge, but really it’s just for, it’s May and it’d be fun to have some Dippin’ Dots in the front.”
By Alyssa Sykuta