Tennis dominates first game in mid-Missouri Invitational tournament

Senior Ford Zitsch cautiously anticipates the return of the ball is a practice match. Photo by Muhammad Al-Rawi
While most high school students were catching up on lost sleep on Saturday, April 21, the Bruins swiftly defeated their opponent, Lafayette (7, 2), winning both singles and doubles.
The boys’ varsity team came out number one after today’s final in the mid-Missouri Invitational. The team’s consistently strong performance and powerful skill allowed for wins in every match played by the six members of the varsity team.
For players like senior Jeremy Lombardo, one of the most fundamental parts of victory is supporting other teammates to sustain a positive, encouraging atmosphere.
“The most important part of the game for me was cheering on Jack [Fay] when he was getting down on himself,” Lombardo said. “Jack usually needs me to tell him to keep his chin up. Jacob [Winton], on the other hand, is more emotional and often needs a hug.”
The team’s achievement is also mainly because of the way in which its members channel their talent. A common, reliable mindset and trust between players are important contributions to conquest.
“I’d probably attribute our success to the team’s mentality this year of ‘not so fast,’ [which means] being purposeful in how we play, not rushing or forcing shots earlier than need be. It’s really done wonders for us,” Lombardo said. “The team bonding nights we’ve had have also helped build a good team chemistry.”
Next up for boys tennis, the Bruins’ junior varsity plays in the Bruin Invite tat 1 p.m. Wednesday, April 25, at Bethel Park.
By Abbie Powers