Police investigate homicide of former RBHS student

A poster in the Rock Bridge hallway commemorates the former junior of Rock Bridge. Photo by Halley Hollis.
Bryan Rankin, a former junior at Rock Bridge High School. Photo courtesy of the Flashback staff.
Police received reports of shots fired in the 3600 block of West Sugar Tree Lane around 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning, according to the police statement. Columbia police believe the shooting occurred from a disagreement at a party in the area.
A 15-year-old male juvenile was arrested around 5:30 a.m. for second degree murder and armed criminal action.
Rankin leaves behind friends, including junior Gabriella Perdomo, who has known him for more than five years. When Perdomo heard the news Saturday morning of one of her closest friend’s death, she was shocked.

Saturday morning “was rough. I was really confused and hurt. I could only imagine what his family is going through,” Perdomo said. “I know that it would best for me to stay strong. I ask that he rest in peace. Rest in me.”

Perdomo, along with many of Rankins’ friends, posted uplifting memories and sayings on Facebook throughout the weekend, mourning the loss of their friend. Rankin had helped her “pull through a lot,” Perdomo said. She remembers him as her confidant when it came to life problems; he was always happy to sit outside her house with her and just talk.

“I will always remember Bryan by his amazing personality and sense of humor,”  Perdomo said. “He always knew just the right things to say and do to make my day better. People will remember him by his ability to put a smile on their face.”

By Daphne Yu