Girls’ golf completes its first state title win

Bruins’ golf made history today when the girl’s team won the state championships at Sedalia Country club, with tee-off at 8:30 a.m. RBHS took first place over seven competitors to claim the state title trophy with a score of 352.
The girls faced an odd dilemma on the way to their victory, though, as weather rained out the first day of competition causing only one day of play.
At the end of competition the Bruins stood nine points below the closest contender. Second, third and fourth place all were one stroke behind each other: 361, 362 and 363 respectively. West Plains High School was the closest contender to RBHS, falling shy of the Bruins’ lead by nine points.
RBHS golf coach Mellissa Melahn believed her golfers deserved this title since the beginning of the season.
“I have felt in my gut all season that this was what we were capable of doing, and for me [the championships are] kind of like, ‘Yeah OK,’” Melahn said. “The girls, they were definitely ecstatic because I don’t think they realized [that had won], even though I had already said [that,] until it was written up, and then everyone was screaming and hugging and jumping and crying. For me it was kind of just a really nice inner happiness to know that they had reached the point I thought they could reach and gotten the rewards for the level that they are.”
By Parker Sutherland