Christmas releases diversify traditional holiday music

Dawn in December was my secret ritual. As a kid, early flashes of sunrise meant I had a job to do. Every morning of the Advent calendar, I would climb out of bed long before anyone else’s alarm rang. Still wearing pajamas with messy hair, I would flit through the house, plugging in light garlands, illuminating the Christmas tree, double-checking the stockings. While my waffles burnt in the toaster, I would soundlessly slip a seasonal CD into the stereo.
In my opinion, Christmas was all about the music. I knew every word to every carol. From Johnny Mathis to Mariah Carey, I collected CDs by the armload. I had a holiday playlist that could run for hours.
I perched on my kitchen counter at 6 a.m., humming along to “Sleigh Ride,” “Marshmallow World” and “Silent Night.”
Christmas carols were my motivation. The songs are absolutely timeless. Even today, I use the music to relax while studying for finals or as an accompaniment for wrapping presents. They’re that special memory you get to relive once every year, again and again.
If you’re just a newbie to the holiday music scene, or if you’re even an old-timer like me, here are a few Christmas albums to check out during this festive season. From classic music to modern hits, there’s bound to be a carol you’ll love.
After all, as Buddy the Elf says, “the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.”

Photo used under the fair use doctrine.
It’s not difficult to fall in love with Michael Bublé’s Christmas. After all, it isn’t hard to adore Michael Bublé as a singer alone. He gives his lyrics an energetic spin and a sway, and they become something eclectic.
Drawing inspiration from Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra, Bublé has acquired quite the musical repertoire, with hits like “Home” and “Haven’t Met You Yet.” The Canadian singer’s records have topped charts from the U.S Billboard 200 to the U.K. and Canadian Album Charts. Bublé knows what he’s doing when he releases a Christmas album.
His harmonies are spot on; his instrumentals are out-of-the-box, and his style, apparent in the numerous swooning adoring, is to die for in every one of the Christmas tracks.
The arrangements of his holiday classics make the difference between a boring repeat and an enticing rhythm. Thankfully, Christmas is chock full of arrangements, as well as gorgeous vocals.
From the blaring trumpets of “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” to the young ladies in “Jingle Bells,” Bublé’s music invites dancing, snapping fingers and overall Christmas spirit. You can’t go wrong this season listening to this classy album.

Photo used under the fair use doctrine.
My father raised me on Bing Crosby’s White Christmas. I used to think there was no other Christmas album, that only Crosby was allowed to sing “Silent Night” and “Adeste Fideles.”
Dad and I spent innumerable evenings slinging lights across the tree and attempting to imitate Crosby’s deep bass tone. It’s always the first album we play on Christmas morning, and the last one left stuck in my head when we pack up the ornaments for another year.
White Christmas is simply a tradition.
Bing Crosby was one of the most influential artists of the 20th century, alongside singers Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole. He’s the most popular radio star of all time, known for his informal and easygoing jazz, so it comes as no surprise that his Christmas album is beloved by many for its classic arrangements and gentle joy.
It’s clearly an old album. The sound quality isn’t excellent, and the music seems to come from far away. But that’s what makes White Christmas so timeless. It’s got the taste of a record pulled from dusty shelves, a taste that brings about instant nostalgia and happiness. Christmas is all about reminiscing old memories and making new ones, so White Christmas is the perfect album for the holidays.
If I had to pick a favorite track, I’d have to go with Crosby’s rendition of “Jingle Bells.” The Andrews Sisters make an appearance for added harmonic effect, and the song becomes a radio classic. You’ll know quality when you hear it.

colbie-caillat-christmas-in-the-sand-2012-c4-40933-9zaw
Photo used under the fair use doctrine.
Diverging from my normal playlist, I grabbed Colbie Caillat’s new album, Christmas in the Sand, released earlier this October. After seeing the artist at the Blue Note last year, I had high hopes. Unfortunately, they were quickly shot down.
To be honest, I’m not sure what I was expecting. Maybe the happy-go-lucky guitar strums of “Brighter Than the Sun”? Or the gentle beat of “Bubbly”?
Unfortunately, I received neither. Instead, Caillat’s album attempted a new, part-country, part-indie, part-pop take on the holidays. There were moments when this worked perfectly. But for the most part, I felt dissatisfied.
The title track, “Christmas in the Sand,” is a cutesy, feel-good number that just doesn’t amount to much. The lyrics describe Santa Claus trying to surf and then washing up onto shore with a present in his hands. Somehow, this image just seems strange, not full of Christmas cheer.
And then “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” featuring Gavin Degraw, just doesn’t balance well. DeGraw is known for the edge to his voice, a subtle rawness, while Caillat is famous for her smooth pop. Both singers are talented artists, but the duet gets distracting from time to time, as DeGraw attempts to growl and Caillat aims to slide. The resulting sound grates at the nerves, and altogether sounds awkward.
However, the album as a whole isn’t terrible. I wouldn’t spend much money on it, but for die-hard Caillat fans, it warrants a try.
As finals week approaches and stress overwhelms us all, take a moment to turn on Caillat, Crosby or Bublé. Trust me ­— it’s worth it.

By Lauren Puckett