Boys’ varsity basketball off to a heated start

Waiting+to+Win%3A+Bruins+watch+in+anticipation+for+the+end+of+the+game+against+the+Nixa+Eagles.+Photo+by+Madison+Brown+
Waiting to Win: Bruins watch in anticipation for the end of the game against the Nixa Eagles. Photo by Madison Brown
Starting its season off on a high note, the RBHS boys’ basketball team won its first varsity game, Dec. 2, by a landslide. The boys outplayed opponents, Central High School (0, 0), ending the game with the score of 95 to 32.
“We jumped on them early … and they weren’t able to come get much going against our pressure. It’s a good start, but we aren’t anywhere close to where we need to be,” senior Will Echelmeier said. The game was “nothing more than a good start,”
Junior Travis Jorgenson and sophomore Nick Norton contributed largely to the enormous 63 point lead by getting in their shots and creating opportunities for teammates to score, Echelmeier said.
Though commenting that the team isn’t quite prepared for their season ahead, the guys came out on the court Saturday to challenge Nixa High School at the Norm Stewart Classic tournament at Columbia College. The Bruins defeated the Eagles by 12 points, posting another victory, this time 80-68 at the final buzzer.
The Bruins participate in the Troy People’s Bank Tournament starting Dec. 5 at Troy Buchanan High School. The team’s next home game is against Hickman Dec. 15 in the RBHS gym.
By Kaitlyn Marsh