Girls’ basketball team shows strong start to season

During Thanksgiving weekend the girls’ basketball team celebrated things to be thankful for, which included a few wins. For the Bruin’s first game of the season, the girls traveled to play in a two-day tournament in St. Louis at St. Joseph’s Academy where they racked up two separate victories.
Friday, Nov. 25 the girls faced Troy, beating them handily, 62-28. On Saturday, Nov. 26, they returned to battle Althoff Catholic School. In the match-up, freshman Sophie Cunningham scored 22 points, leading the Bruins in a 70-20 victory over the Crusaders.
“We got decent minutes from both starters and the bench,” senior Lindsey Cunningham said. “We played extremely well together and very unselfish[ly]. …We had great production from the entire team.”
The girls will be on the road again Thursday, Dec. 1 to play Rolla at 6 p.m. The Bruins have another tournament Dec. 4 where they will face Blue Springs at Columbia College for the Norm Stewart Classic Their first game is at 1:30, and they play again at 3 p.m.
“This weekend was a positive start for our season; we accomplished a lot, but [we] still have work that needs to be done,” Cunningham said. “Most importantly, we came out, played hard, played together and played for one another.”
By Kaitlyn Marsh