Swimming, diving ends tourney in third

Eight girls will compete for the Bruins tomorrow at the State Championships. Photo by Stazi Prost.
Eight girls competed for the Bruins at the state championship in February. Photo by Stazi Prost
The girls swimming and diving team competed in its second meet of the season today, Dec. 16, in Independence, Mo. Out of the 22 teams that took part in today’s meet, RBHS girls swimming and diving took third place at the team’s second outing.
The Independence Invitational was another testing experience for this new swimming and diving team that lacks many key names from last years’ talented squad. The goal of this meet was improvement, and the Bruins placed in the top five for the first time this season, with many individual team members improving upon personal best times.
“I think everyone today really pushed themselves to drop time,” senior Maggie Washer said.  “We don’t have as much firepower on the team this year, but that hasn’t killed anyone’s spirit.”
Upholding the high standards set by last year’s strong team will be a challenge, as many of the top performers have graduated or moved on from the team. But, even with these lofty expectations and a new roster, the team is performing very well so far and has already been successful in the brief amount of competition they have had thus far.
Girls swimming and diving will look to continue this bright start to the season next weekend, when they compete in the North Kansas City and Columbia Missouri Duals Friday night and the Columbia Missouri Invitational Saturday at the Hickman High School aquatic center.
“I think we have a lot of talent moving forward,” junior Ashley Shahan said. “I can’t wait to see what happens during the rest of the season.”
By Sam Mitchell