Girls topple Olathe NW

Senior Hannah Dressler dribbles the ball past another RBHS defender during practice. Photo by Patrick Smith
On Friday, Dec. 14, the varsity and JV girls basketball teams battled it out against Olathe Northwest at Avila University in Kansas, with the JV team winning a tight game of 29-27.
The game proved to be a bit more challenging than usual for the varsity girls, as the beginning was a rough start. However, the Bruins got their footing, crushing Olathe NW,  43-21.
Despite the decisive victory, senior Hannah Dressler, a varsity player, said Olathe NW proved to be a strong team. On top of their quickness and agility, the opposing teams’ ability to change speed and direction quickly was a shock for the Bruins.
“They are all really fast,” Dressler said, “so we struggled getting it up the floor in the first half.”
By the time the buzzer sounded at half-time, varsity was able to regroup and then come out onto the floor knowing exactly what to do in the second half, Dressler said. Their opponents no longer seemed to be as challenging, for the RBHS players were able to keep organized and perform with a new-found intensity.
“We believed in our abilities and had confidence in our teammates,” Dressler said. “Overall we rebounded well and kept our mental composure against a tough team.”
By Manal Salim