The University of Missouri attracts RBHS seniors

Maui Danford
This is the sign of the University of Missouri in front on Mizzou’s campus. Three RBHS seniors are currently committed to the University.

While many RBHS seniors anxiously await college acceptances and their decision, some have already committed to the school RBHS knows all about: The University of Missouri — Columbia — (MU).

The college application window, along with waiting for a decision, are very stressful times for high school seniors, according to Forbes. Students struggle with deciding a career path and an institution to attend, as well as securing finances for their education. Choosing a college close to home can alleviate some of this stress, allowing students to take advantage of in-state tuition and remain close to their support systems.

Senior Ava Canlas is committed to attending MU for the 2024-2025 school year to study Early Childhood Education in pursuit of a job as a kindergarten teacher. Canlas said the positive testimonies from MU alumni and current students “really stood out” to her. The main draws of the university for her are the tuition discount for employee’s children, their College of Education and Human Development and the overall culture of the school. She said she learned about student resources that excited her, such as women’s groups, the Asian-American Association, the Filipino Student Association and women’s fitness clubs.

Being a college student sounds like a really exciting part of life that will bring lots of new experiences. […] [MU] provided me with comfort and security, because I knew my family would be close by, but [it also is] a place that [feels] like home away from home.”

— Ava Canlas

“The environment at [MU] feels really inclusive and exciting, and there are groups already reaching out to me even though I am not a student,” Canlas said. “[…] I have met so many friendly undergraduate and graduate students who are really excited to be at [MU]. [MU] really wants to make their students feel like an integral part of the university.”

Senior Ruby Hord also plans to attend MU next year. Hord intends to major in civil engineering with an emphasis in environmental engineering, and to participate in Marching Mizzou, the university’s marching band. Hord’s parents graduated from MU, and her cousin and brother are current students; she said this, combined with their engineering program and in-state tuition rates, made MU a great option.

“[MU is the best fit for me because it is] close to home. I really like Columbia and like living here,” Hord said. “A lot of my friends are also going to [MU], which is a nice plus.”

Senior Carly Elliott will also attend MU and study Biology or pre-professional Health Sciences. Elliott has already been accepted into the MU Honors College, and hopes the more challenging courses will not only prepare her for medical school, but also help her develop useful skills and habits for later in life. Elliott said in addition to the academic rigor, she is excited to attend the college she was raised to love.

“[I like] the tradition and culture of [MU],” Elliott said. “Since my dad has worked [at MU] since we moved to Columbia, I have grown up attending sporting events and homecoming traditions.”

MU has many attractive features for Columbia locals, from discounted tuition to the familiarity of a hometown. Canlas said she is excited to take advantage of the resources available to students as well as enjoy the culture, such as attending football games.

“Being a college student sounds like a really exciting part of life that will bring lots of new experiences,” Canlas said. “[…] [MU] provided me with comfort and security, because I knew my family would be close by, but [it also is] a place that [feels] like home away from home.”

Have you committed to a college yet? Let us know in the comments below.