RBHS boys’ basketball defeats Ewing Marion Kauffman

Karl Sobieck
Josh Muhirwa (11) shoots free throws vs Ewing Kauffman, KC. Muhirwa and the Bruins blew out EKKC 70-40.

RBHS Boys’ Basketball defeated Ewing Marion Kauffman High School Blue Knights 72-40 at home Friday, Jan. 5.

After a scoreless start from both teams, the Bruins scored the first shot of the game; the Knights also gained multiple fouls.  The Bruins scored the first shot of the game with a 3-pointer at 4 minutes left in the first quarter. Senior forward Jagger Cornell said he believes his team is very powerful when working together.

“I wasn’t surprised by the outcome,” Cornell said. “When we play together as a team and are selfless we can compete with anyone in [the] state.” 

After many deflected shots, the Blue Knights scored the first shot of the second quarter. In the third quarter, the Blue Knights started strong.

I wasn’t surprised by the outcome. When we play together as a team and are selfless we can compete with anyone in [the] state.”

— senior Jagger Cornell

As the game progressed, the Bruins maintained a strong lead. Junior shooting guard Dylan Davis said the team has strengths and weaknesses.

“We have a lot of height and when we move the ball a lot and shoot well we are really good,” Davis said, “[Although] a weakness is we play soft and do not box out sometimes.”

RBHS Boys Basketball Coach Jim Scanlon has coached six different teams from other schools in his past yet RBHS Boys Basketball stands out.

“[RBHS has] good kids [and is a] good school; I’ve always liked it here,” Scanlon said, “The basketball team has always worked hard.”

Despite their hard work, Cornell said their main weakness is lack of teamwork and unity when losing a game.

“When the game starts to not go our way, we start [to] play [as] individuals, and not as a team,” Cornell said.

In the final quarter junior guard Tyler Towe came in strong by scoring the Bruins two points. The game ended with  junior forward Reese Minnix scoring the Bruins their last shot, a slam dunk worth two points. Cornell said that despite the quality of the teams they play, their hard work paid off that night..

“We always try to win it. We didn’t play very well but the guys worked hard,” Scanlon said. “We tried to get more points then they did, so if we can do that that’s good.”

What did you think about the game? Let us know in the comments.