Senior activities take full-swing

Photo+of+materials+catered+to+seniors+such+as+a+planner+showing+the+date+for+graduation%2C+RBHS+graduation+cap+and+information+regarding+senior+merchandise+from+Jostens.+
Bailey Blackburn
Photo of materials catered to seniors such as a planner showing the date for graduation, RBHS graduation cap and information regarding senior merchandise from Jostens.

RBHS seniors have the opportunity to attend various senior events throughout the 2023-2024 school year that celebrate their accomplishments and hard work throughout their primary and secondary schooling.

The first senior meeting for this school year was held in August, and the second Oct. 10. Travis Martin, RBHS math teacher and senior class sponsor, introduced important senior events, such as future meetings, senior reception, senior prom and graduation at both meetings. Martin also reminded seniors to order their cap and gown and to stay on top of their classes. 

While these events may seem far in the future, Martin said having the dates on your radar early on in the year is crucial, as it allows you to enjoy your senior year with less stress.

It’s just a fun time to make some memories with your classmates for the last time and to enjoy that week. Your life is [going to] change a whole lot the next couple weeks [after graduation], so you might as well enjoy those last moments of carefree fun.”

— Ann Perkins

“[There is] a lot to keep track of, so you have to get these [events] on your calendar and set reminders,” Martin said. “[If you] get things done when you need to, that gives you the flexibility and freedom to enjoy the last few months you have here in the building.”

Martin works with RBHS Activities Secretary Ann Perkins to coordinate events that celebrate the senior class. Their work includes communicating with RBHS Principal Jacob Sirna, along with other teachers and administrators, to make sure these activities do not conflict with other school events. The two also book venues for prom and the senior picnic (lunch and swimming at the end of the year), and run the various events.

Perkins said the larger the turnout at the event, the more fun it is. The senior picnic during the final week of school last year saw the largest attendance since the COVID-19 pandemic, which Perkins said made the event a great time for students. The picnic was hosted at Wilson’s Beach Club and included prize drawings, food and swimming, free to all seniors. There are other events that week, including the senior reception.

“It’s just a fun time to make some memories with your classmates for the last time and to enjoy that week,” Perkins said. “Your life is [going to] change a whole lot the next couple weeks [after graduation], so you might as well enjoy those last moments of carefree fun.”

The long to-do list may be stressful for seniors taking classes, participating in extracurriculars, completing college applications, balancing a social life making the added events seem overwhelming. RBHS Student Council President Madeline Malone, however, said she is most excited to attend and plan the senior prom, as it is often the most talked about event. She also advised seniors to take a breath, enjoy their senior year and attend the once-in-a-lifetime events.

“You’ll know people [there] because a lot of people are going [to the events],” Malone said. “You only get to be a senior once. And that’s so cheesy, but just do it.”

Even with the fun of senior year, Martin and Perkins both cautioned students to remember their goal of graduating, and to continue working hard in their classes. These events celebrate seniors and the work they have put in, but they have to stay on the path to graduation to get there. Martin said staying focused during senior year is crucial but to also value the moments you still have at school.

“I’d say enjoy [senior year] because it is going to go very quickly,” Martin said. “You think it’s gonna take forever to get through the year, but it’s going to be made real sooner than you know. You’re going to wish you had more time here. […] So enjoy it while you’re in it. [Enjoy] your friends, your teachers, everything — just enjoy it.”

Click here to view complete schedule of senior activities: https://bearingnews.org/infobox/senior-activities-dates/

RBHS seniors, what activity are you most looking forward to? Let us know in the comments below.