RBHS Boys’ Soccer fights, defeats BHS

Number+15%2C+Jaun+Pico-Vazquez+%2812%29%2C+defending+during+RBHSs+match+with+BHS.+Rock+Bridge+wins+11-5-2.+
Emily Weigand
Number 15, Jaun Pico-Vazquez (12), defending during RBHS’s match with BHS. Rock Bridge wins 11-5-2.

RBHS Boys’ Soccer defeated Battle High School (BHS) 4-1 at home Tuesday, Oct. 10.

RBHS entered the game with a 11-5-2 record, while BHS entered with 6-6. Center attacking midfielder, senior Juan Pico-Vazquez, said that RBHS’ biggest strength that has helped them throughout this season, is their swift offense.

“[The] team’s biggest weakness is our defense. [We] could improve on not getting stupid fouls in the box. Our biggest strength though is our offense.”

— Juan Pico-Vazquez

Head Coach Christopher Horstman said that senior night affected some of the players’ ability to perform during the game. Despite this, the Bruins played well, minimizing the BHS offense and staying on the attack.

“[Senior day] is tough because there’s a lot of distractions,” Horstman said. “The beginning was a little tough, but we settled in after a while.”

BHS struggled during the first half. Freshman Nicholas Timbrook scored the Bruins’ first and only goal of the half. Vazquez said he felt a load of pressure during the game in his position in the midfield area.

“We were definitely overloaded in the midfield,” Vazquez said. “So being a center attacking midfielder, I felt a lot of pressure trying to defend that.”

RBHS scored three more goals during the second half. The first goal was scored by junior Parker Rainwater. Then after a few failed attempts at scoring from each team, the second goal was scored by sophomore Joshua Imhoff. Soon after, junior Donovan Metz scored the final goal for RBHS. BHS managed to score one goal in the second half.

Although Horstman said the beginning was rough, he stayed confident in his team’s ability to perform well and win the game.

“I think when we got up a few I was comfortable and sure we’d win,” Horstman said. “I think when we play well we can win any game, so I’m not surprised by the outcome of this game.”

What did you think about Tuesday’s game? Let us know in the comments.?