RBHS dismantles HHS, looks to hopeful future

Josiah Anderson, Sports, A&E Editor

Entering their last regular season home game, RBHS crushed longtime rivals and Providence Road neighbors Hickman High School (HHS), tallying up a final score of 49-0 by the end of their Homecoming game Friday, Oct. 14.

The Bruins started off the first quarter with a strong drive downfield, going for it on fourth down and one yard and eventually converting it into a touchdown. That would be all the scoring done in the first quarter, as the Kewpies failed to move the ball further than a dozen yards on each drive. This theme continued even when gifted a possession in the form of an interception by junior quarterback Sam Kaiser, just his second of the season.

Sophomore wide receiver Drevyn Seamon has averaged over a hundred yards per game on the season and continues to be a prime target for Kaiser. He said there were many players who did well in the game and that it was a fast-paced team effort that led to the win.

“I think the team’s greatest strength was starting off fast and keeping our foot on the gas,” Seamon said. “We haven’t really started off fast until these past few games, and I feel like we keep the same tempo throughout the game.”

“We clinched after the win against Jeff City, so we play [at home] for districts. It’s gonna be a lot of fun. […] I think we could make it to state if we really worked our tails off.”

— Junior Linebacker Spencer Irvin

Entering the second quarter, the team established a rhythm of pushing downfield on offense and heavily pressuring on defense. The Bruins put up fourteen more points before the half was over, some of which came off the back of a hard tackle and fumble recovery by sophomore linebacker Crew Norden. 

Junior middle linebacker Spencer Irvin said he felt the defense performed well and forced many turnovers for the offense to capitalize on. The win against HHS also provides RBHS with some momentum for their upcoming game against the undefeated Francis Howell High School Vikings and, beyond that, the postseason.

“We clinched after the win against Jeff City,” Irvin said. “So we play [at home] for districts. It’s gonna be a lot of fun. […] I think we could make it to state if we really worked our tails off.”

After the crowning of this year’s homecoming queen and a half time performance by the RBHS marching band, the Bruins came out firing to put up another two touchdowns in the third quarter. One of the scores, once again, came off the back of a defensive play in which senior safety Jack Hawkins intercepted a Kewpie pass.

The final two scores of the game both came in the fourth quarter and were aided by a second interception by Hawkins and a Pick-6 by junior linebacker Grayson Cutchlow. Bringing the final score to 49-0, HHS was shut out for the third time in the season.

Seamon said he came into the game with the expectation of winning and working on the “mental side of the game,” as well as with hopes to improve on his own gameplay.

“I would say our biggest contributor [to success] this year is just trusting and buying into the program,” Seamon said. “I hope to improve on being a leader and speaking up. I’m not a very loud person, but I can tell some coaches want me to speak up.” 

Are you excited for the RBHS football post season? Let us know in the comments below.