RBHS girls’ tennis advances to sectionals

Sophie Connell, Staff Writer

RBHS girls’ tennis played Hickman High School in the district finals Wednesday, Oct. 5. The district tournament took place at Bethel Park, with matches lasting from 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. RBHS finished with a victory at the end of the evening.

This marked the team’s 24th consecutive district championship win. In order to continue the winning streak, senior Louisa Wiesmann said the girls still have to put in the work. The team practices five to six times per week, hitting the courts at 4:30 p.m. after school and practicing until 6:30 or 6:45 p.m. 

“We don’t just expect wins. The tennis program is known for being very successful, but we still have to put in the work,” Wiesmann said. “We have to prove ourselves, especially [on Wednesday] against Hickman, [they’re] big rivals.”

Wiesmann also said she values her place as a leader on the team this year and enjoys mentoring the underclassmen. She is excited to spend her last year with fellow seniors Sriya Pokala and Kinley Schade, and feels extremely lucky to be a part of the RBHS tennis program.

I’m proud of [the team] for being the people they are and what they bring to a true team environment. Whether we win or lose in the end, I think we can reflect back and see that we’ve had a really good journey.

— Ben Loeb, girls' tennis coach

The work of Wiesmann, Pokala, and Schade does not go unnoticed, as sophomore Prathy Premkumar said she loves playing with her team. Premkumar started playing tennis eight years ago, though her freshman season fall 2021 was her first being on a team.

“My favorite thing about Rock Bridge tennis is honestly just the team we have. I’ve known everyone and the coach for so long; it’s just like we’ve grown together,” Premkumar said. “We’ve known each other way before high school and the journey has just been great. We’re like a family.”

Premkumar also said the team works hard to be successful. Coach Ben Loeb felt the team played well Wednesday evening, the key being to get a lead during the doubles matches. After winning the district tournament, the team will move on to sectionals, presenting new challenges.

“We talk a lot about embracing competition and loving to compete, and that type of mindset. We’re big on mindset,” Loeb said. “Especially as you get into the playoff situation where if you lose you go home, I think it’s so important to have the proper mindset going into a competitive situation, for sure.”

Loeb also said he appreciates RBHS girls’ tennis for more than their winning streak. As they move on to sectionals, Loeb is grateful for all his team is.

“I’m proud of [the team] for being the people they are and what they bring to a true team environment,” Loeb said. “Whether we win or lose in the end, I think we can reflect back and see that we’ve had a really good journey.”

Did you catch any of the matches? Let us know in the comments below.