Junior Audrey Novinger writes while her sister freshman Brooke Novinger draws. Photo by Sarah Ginter-Novinger

I said I was going to finish all my homework today, but I lied. I woke up feeling unrested and groggy from spending the last three days on my laptop, so I decided to take a technology break. After loafing in an armchair and scribbling down some poems, I practiced my flute and put away laundry, leaving me with little energy to do much else. My dad and I went on a short walk around the neighborhood, and after lunch my sister Brooke and I set up yoga mats on the deck and relaxed in the sun.While Brooke drew professional-level doodles in her notebook, I read through some of the poetry I wrote this morning. One of my poems was about a blue measuring cup I saw sitting on the kitchen counter. It went like this:

Blue plastic measuring cup,

What to write about you?

You were sitting on my counter looking oh so tragically blue.

What is your purpose but to hold flour, sugar and oats?

You’re rather simple and

unimpressive,

but we’re all so hopelessly

obsessive

when it comes to following the

rules.

This may not be the most outstanding poem ever, but writing about something as simple and mundane as a measuring cup was a good little exercise for my brain. Once I finished reading through my poems, I just sat under my blanket on the deck next to Brooke and listened to the cacophony of birds fighting over the suet brick. The sun beat down warmly on my face, but a gentle breeze kept me cool. 

This may not be the most outstanding poem ever, but writing about something as simple and mundane as a measuring cup was a good little exercise for my brain.”

It doesn’t really feel like this coming week is spring break because school is online, and I’m home every day. Being in quarantine gave my brain the false assumption break started last Wednesday, even though I know it really starts this week. I didn’t get to relax until today, though. Making myself work hard once spring break is over might be challenging. It’s going to feel weird doing school work from my house every day and not having anything besides my own motivation and a constant volley of emails to keep me moving. 

I really hope we can go back to school before the year is over. I would like to see my friends in person and get out of the house. It’s strange to say that. I never really thought I would admit to missing school. The thing is, the normal stress I feel from my huge to-do list is still here in the background, even with online classes. My house is an entirely different location to work in, but I have an equal amount (if not more) work to do. 

I still can’t believe I’m living through a pandemic. I’ve read about different illnesses like the Bubonic Plague and the Flu of 1918, but I never pictured myself in a similar situation. I wonder if kids will read about this in their history books one day. While they may not have textbooks, but instead virtual learning environments, I have a feeling the kids of the future will learn about the COVID-19 pandemic that shook global communities in 2020. 

How did you spend your fourth day in quarantine? Let us know in the comments below.