Renewable Energy

Renewable+Energy

Definition and purpose

Renewable energy is defined as supplying our house through the use of solar panels (solar or thermal), windmills (wind), and various other developing forms that do not emit carbon into the atmosphere.

History

Wind

Wind energy is a form of renewable energy dating back to Ancient Egypt where they would use the wind to send their boats down the Nile river. In the 1970s, Middle Eastern countries imposed an embargo on the U.S. on oil, the U.S.  made policies, such as the Renewable Electricity Standard Act to incentivize the use of renewable energy. In the 1990s, the U.S. created subsidies to reduce the cost of wind energy.

Solar

In 1954, the first photovoltaic cell, used to create solar energy in solar panels, was synthetically created. Later, in 1958, the United States used solar energy to power satellites in space. In 1973, the first building powered completely by thermal energy by Solar One. Solar has since become a stable source of energy in some American towns, mainly in the southwestern region of the United States due to it’s open, flat areas that can house solar panels.

Hydroelectricity

The first hydroelectric plant was invented in Appleton, WI in 1882. Hydroelectric plants then began to pop up across the U, with over 200 plants in 1889. In 1936, the Hoover Dam was built on the Colorado River. the Hoover Dam can generate enough energy to supply 8 million people living in the southwest. The Hoover Dam is the most effective and popular form of renewable energy, according to Renewable Energy World.

Controversy

Pro

Reduced Carbon Emissions

• Countries will significantly reduce their carbon footprint, contributing to the fight against climate change.

Infinite Amount

• Because renewable energy comes from the sun and wind, which are renewable and essentially infinite.

Replacement for Nuclear

• Nuclear is unsafe and unfit as it releases radioactive toxins into the atmosphere, which is fatal to both the environment and humans.

Reduces Foreign Dependence

• Renewable energy can be produced domestically, unlike oil, which has to be harvested from other countries which will add extra taxes. 
  • The U.S. has to pay subsidies to foreign countries, costing 1.25 trillion dollars per year.

Jobs

• Studies indicate that incentivizing the use of renewables creates more jobs in the energy industry. The skills required to work in the oil sector can be transferred into the renewable sector, and vice versa.
Con

Cost ineffective

• Wind and solar are unprofitable without added tax credits, or subsidies, by the U.S.; making them unattractive to potential investors.

Small impact

• Renewable energy was never meant to power large, urban cities. Rather, as seen in Germany, renewables are supposed to sustain households on a need by need basis.
  • Germany has attempted to switch from fossil fuels with its plan, Energiewende. In 2018, Germany announced that it would not be able to depend on renewable energy.

Not on-par

• Renewable energy costs 3-5 percent more to produce than traditional energy sources like oil or coal.

Region Dependency

• Renewable energy cannot be used around the entire United States, solar is mostly only used in the southwest.

How renewables have changed

Before the oil shortage in the 1970s, renewable energy was seen as an unattractive replacement to the monopolized oil industries. Later into the 20th century, renewables began to transition into a mainstream alternative to fossil fuel energy. Brands like Tesla have emerged as magnates in the industry, trying to become a sleek alternative to the fossil-fuel-burning luxury car.

Public Opinion

Pew Research Center reports 89 percent of adults are in favor of switching to solar panel farms for energy, and 43 percent believe that that the U.S.  should continue to expand carbon emitting industries such as coal and oil.