All-State symphony orchestra provides musical opportunities for band, orchestra students

Sophomore Zihao Zhou (left) and senior Eric Kwon (right) stand for applause at the end of the orchestra concert. Photo by Jadyn Lisenby.

High schoolers from across Missouri participated in the 2019 All-State band and orchestra auditions on Saturday, Dec. 7. Band auditions were set at Hickman High School, and orchestra at the University of MissouriColumbia Memorial Student Union. Nine students from the RBHS orchestra program auditioned for All-State, and five were accepted. RBHS Orchestra director Allison Lankheit said getting into the All-State symphony orchestra is difficult because of the high quality music the All-State conductors expect. She also said the standard for the performers is higher than the level of playing ability found in public school music programs.

“The level of repertoire [the All-State symphony] has the students play is really advanced and typically accessible for people that have been taking private lessons for years,” Lankheit said. “A lot of the techniques that are required and the focus that it takes is mostly done on an individual instructional basis.”

In order to meet the degree of intensity All-State requires, those auditioning prepare in different ways. Freshman viola player Inyoung Kim usually practices three times a week for about an hour, and did not change her schedule much. Only during the week before her audition, Kim practiced every day to play at her best on Saturday. Kim has also tried out for other prestigious music groups. In her sixth grade year, she auditioned for a regional orchestra in Texas, where she lived at the time. Even with the experience, Kim still felt jittery before going to All-State.

“I just kept telling myself that I wouldn’t make it, so that I would set [the bar low],” Kim said. “When I get nervous, my hands get sweaty, and [it makes it hard to play] so I tried my hardest to not get nervous.”

After her audition Kim said she was upset by the way she played, and waited anxiously for the results, which came out nearly eight hours later. Once she found out she got into All-State, she said she felt happy and relieved.

Sophomore Anthony Wu, who plays the trumpet, had a different strategy when preparing for All-State. He said the intensity of his practices increased because he had a serious goal to focus on achieving: making the band. Wu tried out and made it into All-State during his freshman year as well. He said the moment he found out he was accepted was irreplaceable, especially after the anticipation from waiting.

“When they finally called my name over the loudspeaker, because if you make one of the top chairs they’ll call your name, I freaked out and I just, I lost control,” Wu said. “It was just months and months and months of work finally just washing over me, and it just feels so good.”

Wu was offered the choice between first chair orchestra or second chair band, as another candidate had already chosen the first chair band. At the end of the day, he chose to sit with the band because he enjoys being with his fellow band players at All-State.

“I love people in the band community so much,” Wu said. “I love them with all my heart, love them more than anything, and I want to spend some time with them.”

Though instrumentalists like Wu and Kim were accepted into All-State, there were others who didn’t make the cut. Lankheit’s advice for those who were rejected is to avoid thinking about it as the end of the world. The players have other chances to play music, such as in the school orchestra and other outside symphonies.

“[All-State] is definitely a fun opportunity, but not making it doesn’t make or break somebody,” Lankheit said. “It’s just another level of experience and opportunity.”

What do you think is the best way to prepare for a competitive audition? Let us know in the comments below.