James Glaser, senior

What do you think is one of the biggest flaws in the American education system?

“I see this less at Rock Bridge because we have a lot of really good AP classes that we can take, and we have a great Career Center. But, overall, I think that the emphasis on making sure that there is no child left behind can end up leaving some children with classes that aren’t challenging enough for them. So, I think that something that could be improved in the education system would be making sure that everybody not only has access to quality education, but also education that goes at their level. We should make more room for students to be able to take advanced courses or courses that are above their grade level. At the very least we should be able to make sure that students are able to enroll at local community colleges if they want to seek out a higher level of education than they’re currently receiving. I just think that people feeling like they aren’t being challenged enough with their education can lead to people just not enjoying school or could lead to people dropping out of high school.

What steps could the government and educators take to combat the issues you have outlined?

So, overall making sure that the education system is actually able to challenge everyone could lead to people enjoying school more. It could also help people to do better after school. This doesn’t really apply to me, but, in the past, they used to let sixth graders take algebra, which would be about three years earlier than they would usually take it, but now the district is turning back on that policy. I can slightly understand their reasoning for it, but, at the same time, it takes away the opportunity for those who are ready to learn more advanced concepts. It just teaches them to dislike a subject (like math) just because they aren’t learning at their full potential.”

What are your thoughts on the American education system? Answer in the comments below.