The Devil Wears Prada loses message in messy vocals

The Devil Wears Prada is a metalcore band, a genre that involves a lot of screaming, growling, raging, and destroying. So it comes as no surprise that their new album, titled Death Throne, defines the style. Blaring, snarling and obnoxiously loud and disrup­tive music at all times, this album is no different from the rest.
‘Mammoth,’ the third track from Death Throne, embodies the metalcore mold. It starts with a guitar, which sounds like 60 peo­ple hell-raising on guitars at once, then the ‘singer’—or possessed, as he sounds —starts growling. More violent music begins to play.
At this point it seems that the singer – who is in need of an exor­cism – is beginning to calm a bit, as does the music. The song even begins to sound like music, but the second it does, the track reverts back to heavy thrasher mode, which was a little disap­pointing as the song had potential.
Then arrives the eye of the storm -the short period of relief and calm where things are unaf­fected by the surrounding dam­age caused by the weather. The chorus (the eye) is actually quite catchy and sounds like a punk rock song, a much more enjoyable music genre than metalcore. Then the noise resumes, back from the dead, to consume the ears of any­one unlucky enough to be around. The songs ‘Death Throne’ and ‘Vengeance’ are barely any differ­ent.
The album is a mix of passion­ately scarred, hurt and desperate people. At least most of the people involved with the creation of these songs are depressed —the lyrics speak of being critically and emo­tionally wounded and compro­mised, brutally smiting back all those who wronged him in some way, usually involving murder and suicide. The lyrics are philo­sophical- too bad they’re wasted on such a mess. The album’s dark, the songs are scary, and makes one wonder how emotionally damaged one can be.