Boys varsity golf team prepares for districts

The district meet is this Monday, April 29, at Meadow Lake Acres Country Club in New Bloomfield.

The district meet for any Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA) sport at RBHS is the first step towards the state meet. The culmination of all the progress the team has made over the course of the season is displayed at full effect. The boys golf team is preparing for their district meet, hoping to perform well enough to progress to the sectional and then state meet. The district meet is this Monday, April 29, at Meadow Lake Acres Country Club in New Bloomfield. Junior Ryan Choe details the trek it took to get to the district meet.
“The journey has been anything but smooth,” Choe said. “It took a little while for the varsity team to firmly shape up, but it has settled. We have been grinding hard during the regular season, and I think we are starting to peak at the right time.”
The team shaped together throughout the season with the introduction of new players. Freshman Willie Hose has refined his play throughout the season, lowering his score and becoming a better player in the process.
“The main thing that helps me play better is knowing the course and being confident on what shots to hit,” Hose said. “Playing a course beforehand is really important to know how to attack it.”
A coach helps keep a team together and incorporate new players. Austin Reed leads the boys golf team and has gotten to see the progression and comradery of the team throughout the season.
“We have gradually gotten better. It’s almost as if we have realized that we were much better than we were performing,” Reed said. “I love spending time with the guys. They are so fun and so good at golf. It’s fun to watch them compete and encourage each other.”
While the team is complete, there are still challenges ahead. A constant struggle athletes face is the balance between school and sport. Choe and Hose both agree that consultation with teachers is important, but their drive for the sport they love helps them keep everything together.
“Being a student-athlete is very challenging, especially because of the rigorous classes I am currently taking,” Choe said. “The biggest part of being able to balance and excel on and of the golf course has been having good time management and having good communication with my teachers.”