Boys’ basketball to compete for state championship, defeats LSN

Photo by Camryn Devore

March 15, the RBHS boys’ basketball took on Lee’s Summit North (LSN) at the State Semifinal in Springfield, Mo. The Bruins made history, winning (72-59) and advancing to the State Championships. Jim Scanlon, the head coach, was proud of the hustle his team put into the game, along with the outcome.
“I just wanted to win this game and move on for these guys, Scanlon said. “We have six seniors, really good seniors and now we have the opportunity, but we have to work and Lee Summit North made us work.”
By halftime, seniors Ja’Monta Black and Isiaih Mosley scored a combination of 20 points.. Mosley said he started off rusty, but his teammates helped push him to get on track.
“It was really just my teammates finding me when I was hot,” Mosley said, “and helping me keep it going.”
Scanlon said the team really had to work to win the game, although he notes the players could have performed better. The game had some breakdowns, crucial times and was a “heck of a game,” Scanlon said.

“We didn’t play our best game, but you have to give [LSN] some credit. They fought and they just grind you,” Scanlon said. “And that’s why they’re where they are. They just keep it tight and they make you work.”

The members of the RBHS bench played a big part in the win. Scanlon said without them the team wouldn’t have won. The team had multiple fouls during the game, but the boys played hard and fought well.
“It was a great atmosphere, I mean I’m excited to play in that arena tomorrow. But my game, it was pretty good,” Black said. “We all played pretty good it was a tough game, but we got the win so that’s all that matters.”
The boys will now take on Christian Brothers College High School at JQH Arena in Springfield, Mo. The Bruins will compete for a state championship title at 6:20 p.m., March 16 when the game begins.
“We’re happy, this is the first time we’ve ever been in this situation. We have to try and take advantage of it,” Scanlon said. “Work hard, but have to take advantage of it.”
Are you watching the State Championship game? Let us know in the comments below!