JV girls basketball succeeds in first home game

Senior Makenzie Skrabal and sophomore Kelsey Knorr practice after school. Photo by Patrick Smith
The RBHS JV girls basketball team played their first home game on Thursday, Nov. 29. Competing against the Rolla Bulldogs, the RBHS girls were immediately in the lead from the beginning of the game and remained that way until the final buzzer sounded at the conclusion of the game.
At half-time, RBHS was leading 31-12, which kept the girls’ confidence and spirits up for the remainder of the game. Countless lay-ups, various three-pointers, and a couple free throws racked up the total points the girls needed to win the match.
The ball flew across the court as the girls made strategic passes from one team member to another in order to evade the defensive Rolla players who were intent on swiping the ball. If any girl made a mistake, junior Elexis Ferguson explains how she and her teammates were able to snap back and recuperate after the error.
“I think the team did our best so far,” Ferguson said. “When we would make a mistake, we would turn it into a make.”
With a final winning score for RBHS of 46-23, the JV girls’ basketball team strived until the very last second to achieve their goal of success. But this victory did not exactly come easily for the girls, as they had to practice diligently and prepare mentally for the game, according to Ferguson.
“Overall our team came ready to win and we succeeded,” Ferguson said. “We gave unlimited effort, and had fun while doing it.”
The varsity team won 65-24 later that evening.
By Manal Salim 
The next girls basketball games will be Dec. 2, 1 and 2:30 p.m. at Columbia College. How are you planning on supporting the team?