The modern gent, a November lookbook

Photo by Will Napier

Style and expression, in recent years, has become a big part of my life. Before high school, I didn’t really care what I wore. I focused on comfort rather than color coordination or anything else.
When I started high school, though, I noticed how important style appeared. I began to appreciate fashion, specifically the rock star look. I looked up to people such as Brandon Flowers of The Killers and Julian Casablancas of The Strokes, but I didn’t really know where to start. After investing in new pieces and finding different interests, I discovered my own style junior year.  With new additions including a black sherpa-lined denim jacket, white skinny jeans and cool grey Timberland boots, I have invested in pieces I am drawn to that match my style. Inspired by celebrities like G-Eazy, James Dean and Alex Turner, my style is a melting pot of different time periods. I admire 50s greasers with jeans and plain t-shirts, as well as the fashion of the 20s. I focus on minimalistic outfits made up of timeless, simple pieces.
If I could sum up my style in one word, I would say vintage. Although I do mix in trendy pieces, I draw most of my pieces from the ‘50s. An ideal outfit for me is black jeans with a t-shirt and sneakers. As I have gotten more comfortable in what I wear, I wanted to showcase different seasonal outfits that are easy to put together and wear.  

Street Style
(black crew neck sweatshirt, light wash skinny jeans, black converse low tops)
Light wash jeans are a staple for spring and summer, and can be easily worked into outfits because of the lighter look. Typically light wash jeans are a lighter material with more breath-ability
Crew neck sweatshirts are a timeless piece in anyone’s wardrobe, and can be dressed up or down. Less writing/print allows for great variety in outfits and neutral colors like black, grey and navy blue are less gimmicky and match well with other pieces. A closer, slimmer fit looks more formal while larger, baggier pieces look more over-sized and casual
Converse are casual, minimalist shoes that can be paired with different styles. Low top shoes work with shorts and jeans, as well as no-show socks or longer socks
The black crew neck adds some warmth and comfort for chillier days, while the light wash jeans work for sunny days where the temperature increases towards the end of the day. Black converse match the sweatshirt and are a comfy and easy to wear shoe.
Throw in your favorite hat and you’re good to go.
Business Casual
(white button up, burgundy lightweight corduroy pants, oxblood wingtip dress shoes)  
White button ups are year round dress shirts that can go with anything from chinos, a suit, trousers or jeans. Button ups can be tucked in or untucked depending on the rest of the outfit
Corduroy pants are soft, warm pants that have a classic feel. Cords can be dressed down or up and are available in multiple fits. Burgundy works for a warmer, more rich autumn color
The white stands out against the burgundy and brightens the outfit
Denim on Denim
(dark wash denim jacket, white t-shirt, dark wash skinny jeans, white converse high-tops)
Denim jackets are timeless pieces that add texture and statement to outfits. Same rules for jeans apply to jackets: darker, less destroyed jackets allow for more ability to match with different styles to dress down or dress up  while lighter washes or distressed jackets look more casual. Matching denim creates a simple look, while contrasting denim stands out. Jackets with sherpa lining are perfect for winter months while unlined denim jackets work year round and can be layered.
White t-shirts are cheap, versatile pieces that have multiple functions. The white t-shirt stands out against the darker denim, and tucking it in creates texture and adds character to the outfit. Rolling up the sleeves give a classic, greaser-esque look perfect for the transitioning weather of October
The white Converse standout and emulate the 50s vibes of the outfit. The skinnier fit of the jeans adds a modern twist to the outfit, and the jeans can be cuffed or uncuffed depending on length or preferred look. The dark wash denim jacket gives a plain look, but I’ve added a small pin related to The Killers’ song titled “The Man.”  Adding pins and patches to jackets is another way to express your interests.  
Pairing the look with a pompadour or quiff with volume adds more to the vintage vibes
“Style and what you wear is really just how you express yourself; it’s what you’re inspired by and what you soak up.”

– G-Eazy